• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No 3rd gear

tom jaffeux

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
I have
a question about my 727 transmission when I put it in
drive it will shift into 2 but no 3rd only way to get into 3rd or drive
I have to put it into neutral back into drive and at that
point it will drive just fine,no issues with reverse. Just would to know if any other members has had this issue and what the fix was just like to know before I pulled the transmission out for rebuild
Thanks Tom

Has this just started to happen on a tranny that has been OK? Or is it first drives after overhaul? More info would be nice. If it is first scenario, try checking your filter for build up of crud. Low pressures do weird things.

Had that happen when a channel in the valve body cracked.
Pull the valve body and air check the front clutch to see if the problem is in the clutch or valve body.

Sounds like leaking at the front clutch drum lip seals. A pretty common problem on the 727, 904 and FWD automatics.

How is reverse? Lazy? The front drum is also applied in reverse. Is this a problem all the time, cold and hot?

Cliff Ramsdell

When I got the car many years ago(8) it worked then the motor and transmission pull when I working on the car (another story) I put the motor and transmission back in this year had no 3rd change out the valve body still no 3rd i do have reverse it is lazy at first start
Thanks

When I got the car many years ago(8) it worked then the motor and transmission pull when I working on the car (another story) I put the motor and transmission back in this year had no 3rd change out the valve body still no 3rd i do have reverse it is lazy at first start
Thanks
Ok, reverse has more line pressure than drive so being lazy points to leakage at the front clutch pack letting fluid by. Old dry will do this.

Use the service manual and a pressure gauge to diagnosis this.

If everything looks good in the pan I would pull it and replace all the clutches, steels and seals and reinstall it.

Cliff Ramsdell

That’s for the help was planning to do the test this weekend will report back what I get. Now just worried that my new converter and throttle body is going to have trash in it fingers crossed of that

Auto Transport Service
Back