• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No brake lights or rear hazards

Mark1972

Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
Sorry guys, but I need you to bail me out again, lol. My 1970 Plymouth Satellite has never had a problem with any of the lights working. Last night a guy pulled up and said my brake lights weren't working. I pulled over and went thru the usual stuff. Nothing obvious. Got home, and got more thorough. The signals work perfectly on all four corners. Parking lights work all around. Hazards work front only, not rear. No brake lights. I swapped out the 1157 bulbs, but no change, as expected. I installed a new emergency flasher, and no change. Obviously it's not a grounding issue or the signals wouldn't work. I checked continuity of the brake pedal light switch, and as soon as the pedal is pressed, there is solid continuity. Checked fuses. All good. Where do I go from here?

While I haven't pulled the steering wheel off to check anything, I did replace that switch last year. When I installed the new ignition wiring last month, everything looked and worked mint. I guess I'll pull the wheel and look again.

no need to pull the wheel yet just check your power going up and thru it first.

Well, found the problem. At least what appears to be the problem. I did pull the wheel, and found a significant amount of metal dust across the areas where the arrow is pointing. I cleaned it with contact cleaner, and now my brake lights and flashers work fine. I guess it possibly directed the power somewhere else? Either way, thank you for the tip of checking the switch. Now I have to find out where metal dust coming from. Also, I wonder if I should lather a bit of dielectric grease on that area in case it happens again.

IMG_20220801_115346.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back