• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No clutch pedal repaired

Mike Szadaj

Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
7CB29196-2AA6-4D8D-9A0B-456BA4353BA7.jpeg
Driving up Gratiot Avenue, I went to shift and the clutch pedal went down to the floor with no resistance at all. I threw the trans into neutral, quickly got over to the right hand lane, and had just enough momentum to turn into a driveway. I don’t know if this was a sign, but it was the driveway of a used car lot. I thought for sure something had come loose with the linkage between the Z-bar and the clutch fork. I was wrong. The clutch fork pivot bracket broke. It was a pretty big pain getting the clutch fork back on and hooked to the clutch bearing Through the bottom opening of the bell housing, but I managed to get it done. So now my question is, do those brackets break often or is this a very rare happening?

Not sure about frequency but I suspect they are like any manmade object and subject to failure. I don't think I have ever seen a broken one but I am also sure it isn't a super rare occurrence.

I have never seen that happen. But that's not to say it doesnt. I bet theres still NOS ones laying around somewhere.

Just last Friday I met Lou Mancini of Mancini Racing fame. He was at my buddies house working on his 340 six pack. Today, just a few days after I saw him, the Mancini Racing store near me came through with the new bracket. Pretty cool coincidence

I had one break on me. A friend made me a stronger one from tool steel.
They probably do not break very often but the part could be designed a bit stronger.

I agree with that. I've always wondered why that part seemed so spindly, considering what
all is happening there especially with heavy-assed 3000 lb clutches and such?

I've seen them welded.

Currently have a welded up one that came from a working trans.

Does anyone offer one made from thicker gauge metal?

Fatigue over time is my suspicion. Had similar happen to me way back 15 or so miles from home after midnight.
If you have a good full synchro trans, capable battery, and starter, you should be able to drive that baby home and repair it there.

If you have a good full synchro trans, capable battery, and starter, you should be able to drive that baby home and repair it there.
I was less than 10 miles from my house, and would’ve preferred to limp the car home instead of having it towed, but I don’t understand how that would have been possible. Are you suggesting that I could have started the car with it in gear?

I'll say yes but if you have to do many starts and stops could cause other problems. Guy I know did it but flywheel ring gear came loose.

I've driven manual trans cars with no working clutch on several occasions.

One word-

"fun"

(note the quotations and italics to denote questionable definition of subject word)

Once you get the feel for what RPM the gears can "release" the shifter and if you need to be increasing or decreasing RPM...

...it gets somewhat easier.

Once you get the feel for what RPM the gears can "release" the shifter and if you need to be increasing or decreasing RPM...

...it gets somewhat easier.
I thought everyone was talking about starting the car while it is in first and then driving it till you have to stop. You would then have to kill the engine and then restart it in first. Are you now saying you can change gears while going down the road with the clutch engaged?

Both.

Necessity is the mother...

...Are you now saying you can change gears while going down the road with the clutch engaged?

Yes sir. It's not something one wants to do all the time, but in a pinch it's possible.

I thought everyone was talking about starting the car while it is in first

From a stop in neutral, you start the 4 speed in 2nd, one less shift. You'll trial and error learn on the fly how to "find" 3rd and 4th shift points adjusting your engine rpm with the speed of the car.

...while covering the brake and with your hand ready to turn the ignition off if necessary any time you are approaching other traffic, or a stop.

...while covering the brake and with your hand ready to turn the ignition off if necessary any time you are approaching other traffic, or a stop.

And ya' need to shift to neutral for your stops.

Auto Transport Service
Back