• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Fuel for My Thoughts

maxwell

Local time
9:25 AM
Reaction score
I just replaced the fuel pump on my 318 after not getting the car to run much. I still have the same problem of the car running for about 15 seconds then quitting with no fuel in the fuel filter. I check all locations throughout the lines and they are full of gas. any ideas of why i cannot get constant gas.

Plugged intake on the sender?

Up till 5 am Sunday taking out the tank and sending unit. No plugs on that end. I have gas at the car but not much at all. I spoke to someone when mentioned the eccentric for the cam may be worn. Makes some sense, while trying Tim set the timing the mark was all over the place. Hopefully there is a quicker fix

I have read on similar issues in the past that the rubber fuel line can actually get sucked shut by vaccuum. It would probably take 2 guys to see if that is happening one to start the car the other to observe the lines where they are rubber and see if this is the problem. Or if in doubt replace the older rubber with new gas line.

set yourself up a gas can and crank the eng over with the fuel line from the carb in it.sould have a good strong pulsation of fuel coming out.if not,could be prob with eccentric with new fuel pump.

Up till 5 am Sunday taking out the tank and sending unit. No plugs on that end. I have gas at the car but not much at all. I spoke to someone when mentioned the eccentric for the cam may be worn. Makes some sense, while trying Tim set the timing the mark was all over the place. Hopefully there is a quicker fix
If your timing mark jumps all over the place with a timing light on it, then it sounds as if your timing CHAIN has a bunch of slack in it. Stretched out. And if you are getting little or no fuel to the pump outlet, then the fuel pump push rod is prob wore down. These are both symptoms of a high mileage mule motor. I.E. 318. Thats a great motor, but Im sure its high mileage.

- - - Updated - - -

You can also just install an electric fuel pump at the tank. But prob easier to replace the fuel pump push rod. I have heard of that rod wearing down before. Then there is little movement to move the fuel pump push rod. Good luck. Let us know what happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, then there is little movement to move the fuel pump lever.

X2 on doing a delivery test then work back from there.

I will do the test at the pump with a can later today and let you all know how it goes. the pump is brand new and I haven't driven the car I he last two months since I have been working on it. I may prime the pump again also. In the mean time any idea of where I can get a eccentric for the cam quickest since I will replace the chain anyway.

The eccentric is ground into the camshaft, it is on a big block anyways. The part that wears out is the rod between the cam and fuel pump lever.

Try your local auto parts store for esentric. Also there is no push rod for small block fuel pumps. Just a pump arm and esentric. Have you changed the fuel filter because if it is plugged after a set pressure the fuel pump bypasses fuel and there is no suction. You can do a fuel flow test but if you have the equipment or access to it a pressure test would be better should be some where between 3 and 7 psi

Thanks all, I try and rent a fuel pressure tester tonight. It's my understanding that small blocks have the essentric not a rod like some big blocks. Local parts store don't carry so I will start looking online. I will let you guys know how things workout tonight

IIRC, (been a while since working on a sb) the eccentric has a small slot that indexes the camshaft keyway. If the cam bolt is loose, the eccentric could be freewheeling and the cam sprocket wobbling, producing your erratic timing. Just a WAG on my part.

312-P4120484.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished taking off the front accessories and the essentric. The timing marks were off by about 20 degrees and the chain plenty of slack. The essentric wasn't lose or anything and it didn't seam worn. Replacing all parts to be sure and going from there. I'm sure an electric pump would be easier but you just gave to know sometimes.

Just finished taking off the front accessories and the essentric. The timing marks were off by about 20 degrees and the chain plenty of slack. The essentric wasn't lose or anything and it didn't seam worn. Replacing all parts to be sure and going from there. I'm sure an electric pump would be easier but you just gave to know sometimes.
I know this is pretty old, but I'm having the same problem. Did the new eccentric get you fuel?

When I swapped the mechanical pump on my 318 I noticed the "new" pump arm was a different length than the original. Also did you feel resistance when installing it? You almost have to force the "spring" arm under the eccentric.

When I swapped the mechanical pump on my 318 I noticed the "new" pump arm was a different length than the original. Also did you feel resistance when installing it? You almost have to force the "spring" arm under the eccentric.
I didn't install the pump, it was another shop. I was told they tried 2. Very erratic fuel. It will have some pressure, then you try it again, and nothing

Auto Transport Service
Back