• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No low beam headlights

Dennis H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
755864D6-5B22-454E-888F-91A12CDC1B96.jpeg
69 Coronet. AC, high power stereo, power windows, dash cam, radar etc. Tons of electronic crap. Cycled the dimmer switch, high beams work. One time when stabbing the high beam switch, the radio cut out. Large issues with original wiring. Pretty sure it’s ready to burn to the ground. High beams won’t disturb oncoming traffic as they are too weak. Where to start?
Not ready or put new harness in, don’t drive much at night. Going to Los Angeles in April. Don’t want to lose high beams too.

If I had to guess I'd start with the dimmer switch, but the radio symptom tells me it's feed related. Time for a test lamp and start at the fuse box.

Dimmer switch or the light harness connections. My Bee use to do that in the 80's.... jabbing a knife into the light harness connections in the bulkhead connection would bring the lights back on.

Dude you really need to go through that wiring! I wouldn't replace the harness, just double check all your connections and repair/ modify as needed. Hope you're familiar with a multimeter !

Dude you really need to go through that wiring! I wouldn't replace the harness, just double check all your connections and repair/ modify as needed. Hope you're familiar with a multimeter !
No, but when Billccm comes to town I’m good.

You got a way to disconnect battery, just in case?

You got a way to disconnect battery, just in case?
Yea remove the dam ground terminal and why does the battery need to be connected for testing in the first place? The biggest problems I have ever seen with Chrysler wiring in our old cars has been cannibalism by idiots putting in stereo's and other electronics.

Seems like it’s always there. I’ll jiggle it gently and spray with contact cleaner.

If you disconnected plugs on bulkhead those knife connectors can push to inside and not be connected. Ask me how I know.

Disconnect the battery and unplug all harnesses from the bulkhead and thoroughly clean both
Male and female connectors.

Disconnect the battery and unplug all harnesses from the bulkhead and thoroughly clean both
Male and female connectors.

Right. Also, inspect the female side super carefully. I smoked the fusible link at 47 yrs old, then burnt the replacement later that summer. I replaced the female connector under the dash after I bought a professional pair of crimpers. I'd suggest a new engine harness at lease, not that much from Evans Wiring. All better after that for my B body.
The high beam switch is one feed in, then two out - either high or low depending on position. So if you have the high beams, the feed to low makes it that far. Bad switch, bad low wiring, or both low headlights failed.

Get a fire extinguisher for under the driver seat if you don't have one. Today. :drinks:

Auto Transport Service
Back