• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NO POWER IN CAR, PLEASE HELP !!

Noteone415

Local time
7:32 PM
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I have a 1970 Roadrunner, 440, Powermaster 95 amp 1-Wire and was installing a MSD Digital 6 this weekend and the factory alternator wire (not used) grounded out on the car and now I have no power inside the car. I've traced it back to the factory alternator wire that connects to the "P" terminal on the bulkhead and ends up on the ammeter. Does anyone know what it could have shorted out ? I replaced the starter relay thinking it was that and also pulled the fusible link wire off the bulkhead and stuck a meter on the terminal and it still shows 12 volts. From everything I'm reading it sounds like the fusible link but if it was bad I'm assuming it wouldnt show 12v correct ?? I plan on digging into it this weekend but was hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. A buddy of mine looked under the dash really quick tonight and didn't see any burnt wires behind the ammeter also. I plan on replacing the factory fusible link with a 10 guage link this weekend and also bypassing the ammeter. I have attached a picture of the wire that grounded.

20191110_111532.jpg

Leave ignition in on position. Jiggle Connector carefully. Have signals or something on that will start if you find the sweet spot. Get help. Be careful.

You may have burned up the ammeter. You could take the wires off of the ammeter and connect them together. You're bypassing the ammeter anyway, right?

Hello Everyone, I have a 1970 Roadrunner, 440, Powermaster 95 amp 1-Wire and was installing a MSD Digital 6 this weekend and the factory alternator wire (not used) grounded out on the car and now I have no power inside the car. I've traced it back to the factory alternator wire that connects to the "P" terminal on the bulkhead and ends up on the ammeter. Does anyone know what it could have shorted out ? I replaced the starter relay thinking it was that and also pulled the fusible link wire off the bulkhead and stuck a meter on the terminal and it still shows 12 volts. From everything I'm reading it sounds like the fusible link but if it was bad I'm assuming it wouldnt show 12v correct ?? I plan on digging into it this weekend but was hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. A buddy of mine looked under the dash really quick tonight and didn't see any burnt wires behind the ammeter also. I plan on replacing the factory fusible link with a 10 guage link this weekend and also bypassing the ammeter. I have attached a picture of the wire that grounded.

View attachment 864570

That looks like the negative coil wire

Evans Wiring uses a terminal end like that for their alternator power wire.

I did pull the harness off at the bulkhead and made sure the terminals were ok and clean but I will try and leave the ignition "on" and jiggle it around. I am going to bypass the ammeter so hopefully it is just a burned up ammeter. I also plan. On upgrading the fusible link to a 12 guage version, according to Mad a 12v link is good for a 8 guage power wire. I do believe that is the alternator power wire from more research I have been doing, I do not know who made it but it is an aftermarket factory style harness. I appreciate all of the help so far, I will definitely keep you all updated.

UPDATE: So we unhooked the black and red wires at the ammeter and connected them together and now I have power inside the car again BUT now one of the fuses in the factory fuse block pops when I hook the battery up. The fuse that keeps popping is the brake and dome light. ????

The ammeter. HA !
The wiring for the dome light is behind the lower left kick panel.
Oh, take a look at the back side of the fuse panel where the dome fuse is. The terminal there may have cooked or created a gap small enough to be a problem. THIS is what the back side looks like:

1 fuse box.jpg

The ammeter. HA !
The wiring for the dome light is behind the lower left kick panel.
Oh, take a look at the back side of the fuse panel where the dome fuse is. The terminal there may have cooked or created a gap small enough to be a problem. THIS is what the back side looks like:

View attachment 865237
Ok I will check that also later today. Thanks !!

Auto Transport Service
Back