• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No power to the head light plugs

hpg4815

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
Hi

1972 dodge charger

New h& m dash harness.

Car does not run

Parking lamps will come on when I turn on the light switch

No power to the head lights

Bought new bulbs

When using test light I do not see power to the bulbs.

Dash gauges are not illuminating

If turn either turn signal. I can see those light up

Do not have a windshield wiper switch installed

What is the bare minimum needed to confirm the headlights will work?

Read it. My hide away light covers are not installed. I have a h&m dash harness and it has a plug for the hide away motor. My dash lights are not coming on either. Trying to find out where I should be getting power. Hide away relay gets power clicks when I turn on the head lights.

Check green wire entering your dimmer switch on floor. Check each line out in both positions. If power in and out on both lines, the bulkhead is your next area to test.

No power, look at power from the switch connections

Check green wire entering your dimmer switch on floor. Check each line out in both positions. If power in and out on both lines, the bulkhead is your next area to test.

No power, look at power from the switch connections
Dimmer or high beam?

Dimmer or high beam?
I googled it. Dimmer = high beam.

So I tested the wires as you said and I see power working in correlation to the head light switch. Out of frustration I kept pressing the dimmer button with my foot over and over and then the lights came on as hi beam. Press again they were off. Pressed a few more times and I can sometimes get the running lights working. I think I will buy a new dimmer switch and new front light harness. These items looked fine but I guess I should replace so I don’t get stranded down the road. It’s only money and time right. Thanks all for the help. Will let you know if this gets resolved properly once I replace these parts.

If you got power going to the purple and red wires out of the dimmer switch in both modes, look at the bulkhead next.

Headlight dimmer position should not change the other lighting in the car. Are the light grounds up front good?

If you got power going to the purple and red wires out of the dimmer switch in both modes, look at the bulkhead next.

Headlight dimmer position should not change the other lighting in the car. Are the light grounds up front good?
I think so I have one ground wire from the forward light harness to the core support. I wire wheeled the are so that it gets a good metal contact. As I mention previously the lights started coming on. I ordered new forward light harness Just to ensure that is good. As for the ground. Is there the only one to ground?

the only think left I am wanting to see working before trying to start the car is the dash lights. I have the ground for that. I can see the turn signal light come on when I turn the turn signal to the left or right, but none of the lights that eliminar the gauges are coming on.

Any thoughts on what to do about the lights for the gauges not working? I have the ground from the new dash harness attached to the left side of the dash, and I removed all the paint. I also tested the ground using a light tester from the positive battery terminal to the dash wire grounded to the dash. it works. is there another ground wire I need to look out for? not seeing one on the new harness. if I turn the turn signal left or right that light indicator will come on but not blink. I do not have the tail light harness hooked up, nor do I have the windshield wiper switch installed. Not sure if either of those are needed to complete a circuit. this is the last thing I wanted to get working prior to trying to start the car. Please help in any way. I will try to run another separate ground wire from the dash to the battery as well. I assume that the dash lights should come on when the car is not running and the running lights or head lights are turned on?

Auto Transport Service
Back