• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

no reverse lights

polywideblock

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:43 AM
Reaction score
hi part of getting my 71 charger registered over here is separating the tail lights and indicators . I know nothing about electrics so get the local auto electrician to do my work .they have succeeded in making the reverse lights into my indicators( orange bulb ) , so now my stop /tail lights don't flash as indicators but now can't make the reverse lights work as reverse lights as well as indicators .is there something that they are missing ? going back tomorrow to see if they have succeeded thanks

Any changes to the trans if it is an auto? There are three possible different rooster combs that can be in there to control the switch, went through this the hard way.

but now can't make the reverse lights work as reverse lights as well as indicators .is there something that they are missing ?
Your Auto-Sparky may have to install a diode on each reverse light feed at the lamp end and run a separate wire from each side of the indicators at the back end to supply the same lamp filament. basically two feeds for one filament.
I did something similar to have a vintage headlight run separate indicators, park lamp, high and low beams - three filament with four feeds. The trick was to bang a couple of ballast resistors inline with the park circuit to drop the voltage across the headlight low beam. Worked, and was legal - passed the test here.

With your rear end dual purpose brake/turn lamps, you may need to run one or two extra feeds to separately feed the indicators - would work out cleaner that way if you can get the cable down there easily.

Any changes to the trans if it is an auto? There are three possible different rooster combs that can be in there to control the switch, went through this the hard way.
nothing changed except the wiring

Auto Transport Service
Back