• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No start issue- fusible link good- starter cranks

Moms68

Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
I just installed the rebuilt 904 back in my ‘68 charger and as soon as reconnected the battery ground I heard a pop in the engine bay.

The starter still cranks, lights, horn, heater fan, and fusible link is good (tested power on the connection block.

No radio or emergency flashers and no power to the dizzy.

I just installed the rebuilt 904 back in my ‘68 charger and as soon as reconnected the battery ground I heard a pop in the engine bay.

The starter still cranks, lights, horn, heater fan, and fusible link is good (tested power on the connection block.

No radio or emergency flashers and no power to the dizzy.
Is there a fuse inside behind drivers side kick panel, could wrong about easy look see. Look bulkhead connector, bad amp gauge will kill power.

Last edited:
I have infinite resistance across the ballast resistor.

I have infinite resistance across the ballast resistor.
I believe that means it's bad. When you heard that "pop", I'm 95% sure you dead shorted something electrical, right? (e.g. electrical stuff not working is another clue), so find that short. A bad ballast resistor would mean no power to the blue (running +) and/or brown (cranking only +) that powers your ignition. Also, look at those blue and brown wires closely. I once replaced an intake manifold and pinched that blue wire...it happens.
As mentioned, radio and flashers are most likely fuses

Update. Went through this today and here’s an update. The “pop” happened again so whatever is happening it is resetting itself. This happens with the ignition key in the off position and when connecting the battery. No blown fuses.

My neighbor and I checked/ ohmed out the positive battery cable, and ignition wiring brown and dark blue. The pop noise seems to be coming from the passenger side of he engine bay near the coil, but haven’t been able to see a spark or arc. Engine will crank.

What is hot without the ignition on that could cause this?

Post some pictures of your under hood wiring and maybe someone can pick up on something.

Auto Transport Service
Back