• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No transmission engine start

67RT

Local time
3:09 PM
Reaction score
I am patiently waiting for my new 4 speed transmission from passion performance. While waiting I have updated my ignition and distributor to the MSD Pro billet setup with a 6AL box. I have most of the wiring done. I am wondering without the transmission could I fire the motor to tune the timing and carb without sending the clutch disk scattering around in the bell housing ? I have a blow bell installed. I have a show to attend in mid march I would love not to have to push my car into the show.

Just think about what holds the clutch disk in position......

as long as you don't depress the clutch pedal would it be necessary to remove the pressure plate and disc?

Probably not. i might do it, but why not remove them and be sure? Just my opinion.

Yes, take them out! Nothing is holding them centered on the flywheel and any rpm’s, well, you’ll be buying more parts.

Yes, take them out! Nothing is holding them centered on the flywheel and any rpm’s, well, you’ll be buying more parts.
Looks like the A-Team is required here again....finish up at Ghost's then shoot across to help this guy out. :lol:

It’s been a long week. I knew the answer, I just wanted to hear it. Passion is two weeks behind on my transmission. Getting anxious.

It’s been a long week. I knew the answer, I just wanted to hear it. Passion is two weeks behind on my transmission. Getting anxious.

I hope for your sake that it is only two weeks.
A friend of mine was told three weeks for a rebuild on his 4 speed. Turned out to be three months instead. :wtf:

Remove the throw out bearing, and fire away. The pressure plate is attached to the flywheel with six bolts, and the clutch disc is sandwiched between them with considerable force. The trans lines up nothing unless the clutch is depressed.

Nonsense. If you want to be safe just remove the throwout bearing, the fork return spring will keep the fork away from the spinning pressure plate.

Yep, if that pressure plate won't hold that disk in there just to run up the engine, then it sure won't hold it to turn the tires!

But the input shaft keeps it centered, I wouldn’t do it.

its already installed with a centering tool with hundreds of pounds of force holding it in place from the pressure plate, its not going anywhere

And the centering tool is held in by what? Friction!

Under what scenario is the pressure going to lose it's clamping force enough to allow the disc to move off center?

I suppose engines don’t vibrate and therefore everything will remain in its place.

It’s not something I would do, why take a chance. Take a few minutes and unbolt the clutch/pressure plate and you’ll have no worries. Kinda like wearing a seatbelt!

Auto Transport Service
Back