• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noise in valve train or?

64SF

Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
I have a similar sound coming from my engine. Engine is a 451 (400 stroked) Anyone have any idea what would cause the dull knocking sound (I hate to use that word). Have good oil pressure. Using Hughes cam, lifters (their noisy ones) and springs. Steel adjustable roller rockers. Thanks.

What kind of valvetrain? Have you checked lash?

Thank you for the reply....Hughes cam number 3236BL-10, Hughes springs, Hughes lifters 5003, stainless steel roller rockers 1.5. On the lash I have adjusted per the instructions from Hughes although they were a bit confusing (the instructions).

Hypereutectic Pistons make a strange noise. I’m not sure in the video. I can’t distinguish a sound. Just garble. Only a thought

Sounds just like my 440 with Hyper KB pistons when cold. Thought it was in the valve train with Comp Cams XE 268 and their lifters. I switched from Isky ductile rockers to OEM and it quieted down a bit. Been like this for 4-5 years now. Just got back from a 1700 mile road trip and it ran like a top. Running 20-50 VR oil and will try the 10-30 VR to see if it makes a change. Dose yours change when warmed up?

Does it go away after warmup?

I am running KB 239 hypereutetic pistons and have a bit of that sound on start up. It goes away when warm . And it could be in combination with a leaky exhaust.

432 Stroker that I built

XE 275HL

Stamped OEM Replacement Sealed Power Rockers

E Street Heads - 10.5 to 1 Compression - Icon Pistons

I have tried VR1 20w50 and 10w30 with no difference effecting the sewing machine

Ah! I have KB pistons which may be contributing to the sound. This site is the best.

I'm running Autotec custom pistons in my 440/502 stroker with solid lifter cam. I always have what sounds like a hollow knocking sound till the engine warms up. After that it sounds fine.

Thank you for the reply....Hughes cam number 3236BL-10, Hughes springs, Hughes lifters 5003, stainless steel roller rockers 1.5. On the lash I have adjusted per the instructions from Hughes although they were a bit confusing (the instructions).

So it’s a hydraulic cam. If you have adjusted it correctly, there should be no specific noise emitting from the valvetrain. I’d pull the covers and inspect. Proper procedure would be: while spinning the pushrod, run the adjusters in until the pushrod will no longer spin in your fingertips, then go 1/2 to 3/4 turn past that.

Ah! I have KB pistons which may be contributing to the sound. This site is the best.
KB makes all different types of pistons. The comments above were specific to hyperutectic material. Make sure of what you have.

The video is hard to hear, but to be honest what I think I hear is an exhaust leak. If the valvegear looks to be correct and in proper adjustment, I’d replace the header gaskets and see if your noise goes away.
Good luck!

432 Stroker that I built

XE 275HL

Stamped OEM Replacement Sealed Power Rockers

E Street Heads - 10.5 to 1 Compression - Icon Pistons

I have tried VR1 20w50 and 10w30 with no difference effecting the sewing machine

Asymmetrical camshaft lobes. That's what you should start researching if you want a quiet valve train with modern fast ramp-rates.

Auto Transport Service
Back