• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

North Florida Springtime Gardening Thread

69 Sleeper Bee

Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
You northern guys may not want to read this but in my area we have a 8-9 month growing season. I am a 1000 feet from the Ochlockonee river so my soil is very sandy but I make due.
Made the garden in 1993. 40'x 80'.
Here are some pictures of the season so far.
New potatoes cut to heal before going in the ground 1/29
IMG_3093.JPG

Gardens 1st tilling of the year 2/8
IMG_3106.JPG

2nd Tilling 2/13
IMG_3108.JPG

Potatoes in the ground 2/14
IMG_3119.JPG

Potatoes covered 2/14
IMG_3124.JPG

Potatoes popping out 3/11
IMG_3228.JPG

Cherokee Purple Tomatoes starting from seed. 3/9
IMG_3224.JPG

Tomatoes today ready to go in the ground 4/6
IMG_3268.JPG

New Potatoes today 4/6
IMG_3265.JPG

We are supposed to have lows in the 40's in the next few days. Winter is slow to go away this year. Ready to plant corn , bush beans , okra , peas , squash , cucumbers.
Started my jalapeno pepper seeds this past weekend in cups.

The only thing growing in my garden right now are rhubard and garlic. Still about a month to go before the last frost.

Nice work. My wife started hers last month. Much smaller scale than yours and she is all about the tomatoes and green beans. She just transplanted the tomatoes this past weekend.

How big of a potato do you get in FL?

I might have to try that.

I'm a "black thumb" in general but...

I had 38 pineapples last season and will likely have more this time around.

They are 99% black thumb proof.

How big of a potato do you get in FL?

I might have to try that.

I'm a "black thumb" in general but...

I had 38 pineapples last season and will likely have more this time around.

They are 99% black thumb proof.
These are red potatoes or called new potatoes. They take 90-120 to grow. They get to be about baseball to softball size at the biggest. The smaller golf ball sized ones are better when cooked with green beans. They are very easy to grow. Plant them 12'' to 18'' deep and as the tops grow tall you bring in dirt on both sides ( hilling them ) You can steal some of the smaller ones as they grow. When the tops flower and then die off you dig them up. You can leave them in the ground for a month or so after the tops die if you have sandy soil that drains well.
Its a little to cold up here to grow pineapples but I have seen some do it just depends on how cold a winter we have.
My parents always had a garden when I was growing up and I find it satisfying to grow your own food.

I likes me a golf ball sized new potato.

Actually my favorite.

I think you've convinced me to try.

...or at least have my wife try.

She's mentioned starting a garden a few times.

Maybe this is the thing to bring that about.

Nice plot you have and well maintained/managed.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Be cautious on growing there as the earth can be very acidic because of the abundance of pine trees. When I lived there in Lower AL/Crestucky, The amount of pine leaves made growing a challenge but I did manage some what. Having grown up vegetable gardening in the mid west and then while residing in Commiefornia' Sac Valley, I got spoiled and jaded because of how fertile the loam is there. Now here in the NV Great Basin area I live in, the soil is very sandy and not nutrient rich. So, I built raised beds and planter boxes, brought in good top soil and horse manure, augmented them with more nutrients, composted material, and even managed to add some calcium to help with tomatoes, and even Worms in the compost pile which are few and far of being here naturally, I have been doing really well in my production. Getting my starters started in the garage brow light area that is running 24/7 with heat mats and grow lights. Then when the starters need to be up potted, I can move them outside to harden them for transplanting to the beds and containers. My Onion starters from TX will be here on Friday so this weekend, into the ground they will go. I grow some cold weather tolerant items like Onions, Broccoli, Cauliflower, and such as our growing season is very short here. Potatoes grow great in containers as well. H2O Is the challenge with the drought being what it is, but by managing that, I have some great fresh produce every year since moving here in 2016. And with the prices of food going through the roof these days, Victory Gardening is my go to preparedness routine. I hope others here on FBBO, do the same also...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Nice vegetable garden...

I like them french fried po-tate-ers, umm hmm...

Sorry, couldn't help myself.... :)

Victory Gardening is my go to preparedness routine. I hope others here on FBBO, do the same also...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

You wantta come give me a hand gettin mine going??? LOL :poke::poke:
I currently just have some onion sets that I got at Wally's. Bought a sage, mint, rosemary, just have to figure out where to put them? My seeds have been in storage for a few years, I tried a few just to see what would germinate, looks like I'll have to find a spot for a cuck and a acorn squash. 5 plants for 5 seeds each I can't complain. Next year will be better, that's a fact!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back