• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not a B Body, but an AMC Gremlin....

Big Bad Dad

Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score
Not a Mopar, but caught my eye tonight. This nice looking Gremlin just popped up on Facebook Marketplace. I am almost tempted to go for it. It brings back memories from MANY years ago when I had a Gremlin X in the same exact color scheme. However, mine had a feisty 327 Chevy engine and a Muncie 4 speed transplanted into it. It could be pretty scary when hammered on... LOL, Fun Times!

nc_oc=AQkh4psXP2be5dQVOddXJnl6yxQoOqmPhWGdeLdDcm1q4H45aZb3P_HnfThOzi2dTdo&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

I had a buddy Jeff (the beak) in Concord Ca., late 70's
that had a 383 out of his 70 'cuda Grande coupe
in 'a green Gremmie' that fugly thing was light, fast & fun

Funny how something so undesirable back then is looked at in a different light today.

Looks like that one has some rust bubbles around the rear wheel well.

My sister had the twin to that gremlin X It even had Levi’s seats. 6 cylinder auto.

I had one I hot rodded in high school wished I still had it I built a 304 and had a three speed manual trans an a 6 cylinder rear. It was blast.

Gremlin X’s are cool.
After all these years I have warmed up to the look of the Gremlins.
The Pacer, not so much and don’t see me ever.

There used to be this guy up in Cobble Hill on Vancouver Island back in the 80's that was a total AMC guy. My buddy who was into the AMX/Javelin's would hit him up for parts. This guy had this really ratty Gremlin X 4spd with a 401 in it. He took us for a ride in it one day and that was one nasty little screamer. Tires up in smoke from one end of town to the other. I still think they are a "face only a mother could love", but like all these cars, getting rarer.

Not a Mopar, but caught my eye tonight. This nice looking Gremlin just popped up on Facebook Marketplace. I am almost tempted to go for it. It brings back memories from MANY years ago when I had a Gremlin X in the same exact color scheme. However, mine had a feisty 327 Chevy engine and a Muncie 4 speed transplanted into it. It could be pretty scary when hammered on... LOL, Fun Times!

View attachment 1236183
If you look closely at some of the cars today you can see a slight resemblance to the Gremlin.

My wife's first car new car was a red 1970 Gremlin!

Last edited:
Funny how something so undesirable back then is looked at in a different light today.
I didn't like their appearance then and they haven't grown on me. I would look at a well optioned AMX, or even a Javelin. Not saying I would buy one but I can certainly appreciate them.

Every day, riding a bike to school I went past the AMC dealership with one or two Matadors, several Jeeps and row after row of Gremlins. And they were selling.

I remember as a teen in 1977 there was a AMC dealer in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. I was there for a summer at army cadet camp. We would go by the dealership and they had a bunch of the Hornet AMX’s. I thought they were beautiful. They had a bunch of International Scouts, as well. Always thought that theywere cool.

Auto Transport Service
Back