• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not a B-body but i could use some help

Wietse

Local time
9:49 AM
Reaction score
Hey all,

https://www.autowereld.nl/dodge/challenger/340-rallye-four-barrel-28900492/foto.html

My eyes came across a 1971 Challenger being for sale. (says '71, but on FT it's a '72 model)
It states it's a Ralley 340 4-barrel, colour is hemi orange, floor shift auto, bucket seats.
Interior is in a decent shape, looks pretty clean of rust and basically needs a bit of body work and a paint job.
I am getting interested to buy the car and do up the bits and pieces, and at some point strip the interior and get it spray painted.
First of all, is the Ralley 340 4-bbl a bit of the types of collectors model or would it be a "one of many".
Second, to me it does, the fendertag is present ands seems legit. Bits and pieces i will need to check on the car if i decide to go for a look. (it states its a matching numbers car)

I am not sure but i think it would be a nice project for resale purpose, car still requires to be registered on Dutch licence plate so not everyone would like to buy it as is without any knowhow etc.

I would appreciate if you guys could give me some advice on this one, i am looking into something to "invest" and potentially sell it again. (probably i will feel sorry for myself when i will sell it and decide to keep it.. :) )

I think that's a nice car. I don't know the production numbers, but I'd say it's "slightly rare". From what I've seen of collector car prices here in the USA, the only cars that I would consider an "investment" would be '68-'71 Hemi cars......convertibles, 4spd, etc. I only see the "ultra-rare" cars being a good investment these days. Most cars are now sold for 1/2 what they cost to restore.

E body parts are more expensive or just as expensive as 68-70 Charger parts. Dash pads aren't cheap, needs a heater core, the column refinished, etc. It looks legit, and it looks rusty, esp on the fender tag.

Just made a quick count on parts, to get the interior completed (dash pad, console), rebuild kit for suspension, shocks, leaf springs, heater core (you noticed also the bypassed heater hoses :) ) and some other materials and get straight away towards E 3000,- ($3400,-).
Body work (from what can be seen from the pictures) i would say 3-4000 euro get it in a nice paint job.
So all in 10K Euro will be easily spend here.

Yes i think there will be a hole rusted below the tag i believe.
Rust would be one of the reasons to go and check what is the condition of the body.
Just wondering if it would be a "valuable" project, or better continue to search for a more "collectible" type.
I was not sure about the "hard to find" and "want to have" ratings of this model...i got kinda stuck on my '69 Coronet and forgot to look any further. :)

Appreciate you guys for your thoughts. :thumbsup:

If you want to just make some money on it just buy it and resell it without putting much money in it.

Some people talk bad about flipping cars and prefer to lose money on them.

That's a 72, with a low compression 340. Less desirable than a 71. There were no "rallye"s in 71. 5th charachter is engine, sixth is the year. (Vin tag) . Date charachter on fender tag also says 72.

E's can be an expensive proposition. ( guess how I know?)I've seen way worse that's for sure. But I'm sure she's got some of the typical rot. Just be aware

Thx all for the input.
I did come across it and noticed it is complete with FT, matching numbers engine and tranny.
Just did not know if it was a desirable model that would be worth a chance of a bit of repairs etc. and sell it again.
It's just to have a bit of business in the hobby, which at some day i am hoping to end up in.
Working with these cars and restoring them is something i would make my work any time, but it needs to be worth it.
I don't have the space to keep em so it would be a seller anyhow.
As Purplebeeper mentioned, this car sits just outside the "golden years" of the high performance muscle cars, so i'll keep looking for something else. :)

I have a 73 340 Rallye. While not as desirable in the market place they have many nice features. Mine was 340, 4 speed, 3 55 sure grip, 150 mph speedo, tach, console, front and rear sway bars, disc brake, power steering cooler, power bulge hood, split exhaust tip rear valance. Many more options than a lot of R/Ts.
Doug

Agree with the points above. The car in the pics is a ‘72, you can tell because the bumpers are closer to the car in ‘72 versus in ‘73 and ‘74 where they are spaced out just a little to conform to new requirements. These are great cars to own, drive nice, the 340 is easy to work on. Starting in 72 they stiffened the doors for side impact, also the 340 is lighter than all the big block e-bodies so the cars handle a little better. However...if you are going to spend money to restore it to a higher level it should be for your enjoyment as the payback will not be there versus a 70 or 71, these tend to sell a bit slower than a big block 70 or 71.

There are a lot of e-body parts available, that won’t be an issue. I had one of these, a B5 blue ‘73, it was great.

Thx guys for your 2cents.
I let it go by, it just caught my interest with having the fender tag and i like the challenger model.
At the moment i have no space to store it anyway :(

Being in Florida I would make sure that car wasn't a hurricane flood victim. When I see gauges that look like this it looks like the Rallye light bar and Cluster bezel was in salt water and new gauges were installed...
dodge-challenger-340-rallye-four-barrel.jpg

I personally like any E body. To me the frowning grille, side marker lights and tail lights are less desirable than 70-71's but I like the Rallye scoops and side stripes.

I personally like any E body. To me the frowning grille, side marker lights and tail lights are less desirable than 70-71's but I like the Rallye scoops and side stripes.

I agree the front end looks like a squished frog. Rest of the car looks fine I don't even mind backend of a 72 but by 73-4 the bumper moved out with the massive guards make it unattractive..

Yeah, as the years go by the looks get less attractive.
I will keep my eyes open for that '70 Hemi... :praying:

Build date is 12-71 making it a 72 plus the VIN has a 2 in it. I had a 72 Rallye 340 and it didn't have the side treatment like that one. Thought that was a 73 thing....?

FB_IMG_1488215804106.jpg
Not all that hard to swap the grille. It's not a bolt in but do able. This is my 73 340 Rallye. Build em how you like.
Doug

Here they register the year of construction from the actual year it was build and not as per model so that's why it's a bit off.
I think I read somewhere that side treatments was introduced in the '72 model.

Yeah, that's the ride! :thumbsup:
If that's all original i guess there are not many around with that combination.

Maybe one day i buy a decent body (no # matching) and build it with a Hemi, 4 speed and Dana 60 axle :fool:

Auto Transport Service
Back