• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not able to shift manually into 1st gear on 727

harley78985

Local time
12:15 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have a -74 Charger with an original 360 engine and 727 TF automatic transmission. I bought the car one year ago and ever since I bought it I have not been able to manually put it into 1st gear. I have been thinking it was a case of adjusting the rods from the gear selector to the transmission case. Today I tried to adjust the rods but still it wont move into 1st gear. I tried to do it directly via the arm on the transmission case but no luck... Besides this problem the transmission works and shifts as it is supposed to... Any suggestions what may cause the problem??

Thanks
Harley7985

That's easy...it's got a Powerglide in it.

But seriously,it might pay to drop the pan and have a look at internal side of things......it could be something as simple as a burr on the mechanism.

Hi guys!

I have a -74 Charger with an original 360 engine and 727 TF automatic transmission. I bought the car one year ago and ever since I bought it I have not been able to manually put it into 1st gear. I have been thinking it was a case of adjusting the rods from the gear selector to the transmission case. Today I tried to adjust the rods but still it wont move into 1st gear. I tried to do it directly via the arm on the transmission case but no luck... Besides this problem the transmission works and shifts as it is supposed to... Any suggestions what may cause the problem??

Thanks
Harley7985

I've been rebuilding transmissions professionally since 1979
I'm not sure exactly what you mean so please bare with me
if you shift the gear selector down to 1 do u get engine braking?
is it on the column? or a floor shifter? on column the pointer is adjustable, hence my question do u get engine braking?

I cant see it being a valve body problem there is a detent ball on the rooster if the ball or rooster was bent or damaged it should effect it all the time

now I have seen some whacky stuff

Auto Transport Service
Back