• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

nother"what wheels fit" question

volaredon

Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
I have a 78 Fury 2 door (not "sport", though when I tell people about it I say it is, as all "sports" were 2 doors)
I'd like to get rid of the stock rims and hubcaps/ I need new tires as the ones on it are from '03 or '04. I want to find a set of "better looking" wheels, something that an owner would have put on one of these, "back in the day". Its not fast, (what 318 Lean Burn car was? haha) though I have ideas on how to help that part of the issue.... Im 2nd owner, (since 2007) car only has 56k original miles.
WHAT WILL FIT? I am having a hard time finding "anything".... looking toward something like Torq Thrust, Keystone Klassic, Cragar, etc..... When I do find anything, it's a pair of 14" something.... I aint sure that 14s will clear my calipers (it aint the police package) and I am wanting all 4.
Thinking I want something a lil wider in back for "that look" but not mandatory. 15x7s? 15x8s? Id prefer NOT "unilugs" if possible.
Wondering if I oughtta be looking past 15s even, and going to a 16 because 15" tires are getting harder to find.
I'd like to run either 215/70 15s or 225/70 15s up front with maybe 255/60s in back.... would 275s fit?

I went to a swap meet last weekend (Jim Rinehart's in Rockford IL) and there were 2 pairs, from 2 different sellers, and I passed them up because they weren't a set. But I loved em both. One pair was a set of 14" Cragars in fantastic shape. the others were 15x8-1/2
I forget the name of them but they were kind of like a Cragar but a little different, and not chrome like a Cragar. I DON'T want 14s up front and 15s in the back. I really don't want 14s at all, for fear of not being able to find new 14" rubber these days, as I know that when I get my Volare done I will have to upsize those tires, for that reason.

Car is all stock, right now/ I am going to be replacing the sagging leafs this spring, with either stock height or stock + 1-1/2" or so, nothing crazy. Definitely NOT "lowering" my car. It looks stupid. Rear will either be stock or up slightly, front end height will stay stock. I have air shocks on it at present, put on "on the road" as I left bristol Speedway at the end of the 2009 Power Tour with it (ordered at an Auto Zone on the road)

My 1st 2 cars in the 80s were a 76 Charger SE then a 75 Cordoba. I ran 225/70-15s all the way around, and seems like there was room for more especially in the back.

Suggestions?

Question is what are you looking for? New or used? I had 15x7 Keystones on a 75 Cordoba in high school with 225/70/15 all the way around. These tires were the same OD as the oem tires that were G78s. On my 77 Cordoba I bought the same Keystones, but 15x7 front and 15x8 rear and put 235/60/15 (too small OD) in front and 275/60/15 (little too big) in the rear. The rears rubbed over bumps with the sagging rear leaf springs, new springs and shocks solved the problem for now. I have been thinking about going to a bigger rim, as I have seen some guys on here going with 17" and 18" rims and that look is growing on me.

Question is what are you looking for? New or used? I had 15x7 Keystones on a 75 Cordoba in high school with 225/70/15 all the way around. These tires were the same OD as the oem tires that were G78s. On my 77 Cordoba I bought the same Keystones, but 15x7 front and 15x8 rear and put 235/60/15 (too small OD) in front and 275/60/15 (little too big) in the rear. The rears rubbed over bumps with the sagging rear leaf springs, new springs and shocks solved the problem for now. I have been thinking about going to a bigger rim, as I have seen some guys on here going with 17" and 18" rims and that look is growing on me.
Probably used, if I can find a set that is at least decent. But for what some of these clowns thinkbtheu

Probably used, if I can find a set that is at least decent. But for what some of these clowns think that they can get for used wheels, and usually just a pair at that, I'm still looking.

Pictures would help.
I would suggest something like a 15"x8" in the rear with a 255/60 tire
15"X 7" with a 215/70 or a 215/65 in the front.
The C bodies in early to mid 70's had a rallye type wheel similar to this if you can find a good set:
upload_2021-4-22_8-45-6.png

Probably used, if I can find a set that is at least decent. But for what some of these clowns think that they can get for used wheels, and usually just a pair at that, I'm still looking.

Here is a video I did a few years ago.

hpim0705-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 78 Fury 2 door (not "sport", though when I tell people about it I say it is, as all "sports" were 2 doors)
I'd like to get rid of the stock rims and hubcaps/ I need new tires as the ones on it are from '03 or '04. I want to find a set of "better looking" wheels, something that an owner would have put on one of these, "back in the day". Its not fast, (what 318 Lean Burn car was? haha) though I have ideas on how to help that part of the issue.... Im 2nd owner, (since 2007) car only has 56k original miles.
WHAT WILL FIT? I am having a hard time finding "anything".... looking toward something like Torq Thrust, Keystone Klassic, Cragar, etc..... When I do find anything, it's a pair of 14" something.... I aint sure that 14s will clear my calipers (it aint the police package) and I am wanting all 4.
Thinking I want something a lil wider in back for "that look" but not mandatory. 15x7s? 15x8s? Id prefer NOT "unilugs" if possible.
Wondering if I oughtta be looking past 15s even, and going to a 16 because 15" tires are getting harder to find.
I'd like to run either 215/70 15s or 225/70 15s up front with maybe 255/60s in back.... would 275s fit?

I went to a swap meet last weekend (Jim Rinehart's in Rockford IL) and there were 2 pairs, from 2 different sellers, and I passed them up because they weren't a set. But I loved em both. One pair was a set of 14" Cragars in fantastic shape. the others were 15x8-1/2
I forget the name of them but they were kind of like a Cragar but a little different, and not chrome like a Cragar. I DON'T want 14s up front and 15s in the back. I really don't want 14s at all, for fear of not being able to find new 14" rubber these days, as I know that when I get my Volare done I will have to upsize those tires, for that reason.

Car is all stock, right now/ I am going to be replacing the sagging leafs this spring, with either stock height or stock + 1-1/2" or so, nothing crazy. Definitely NOT "lowering" my car. It looks stupid. Rear will either be stock or up slightly, front end height will stay stock. I have air shocks on it at present, put on "on the road" as I left bristol Speedway at the end of the 2009 Power Tour with it (ordered at an Auto Zone on the road)

My 1st 2 cars in the 80s were a 76 Charger SE then a 75 Cordoba. I ran 225/70-15s all the way around, and seems like there was room for more especially in the back.

Suggestions?
I've been shopping FB marketplace pretty hard, good deals come and go if you keep looking. Have cash and be ready to jump when the right deal shows up. Nice Keystones don't show up too often, but good slots pop up all the time. Cragars too.

Suggestion: i would avoid 14" and 16"wheels like the plague. Tire selection is drying up fast, the 14" tires are going to 15s, the 16s are outdated by the 17s. Best tire selection will be from 17s up, with fifteens still the preferred size for slicks and drag radials.
I cant tell you what YOU should do, only say what i would do.
Shopping for used, and finding and getting EXACTLY what you want.... fun shopping but very frustrating. I would save up enough to buy exactly what you want, new.
Since i love the timeless look of torque thrusts, i would get 17x7s with 4" bs for the front, and 17x8s with 4.5bs for the back. I prefer gray, but polished is fine too.

I see slots around, that is the one style that does pop up. I'm thinking torq thrust or keystone at the moment. I do know one guy who has a black 79 cordoba that just got new keystones and BFG tires last summer.... Man it looks awesome on that car, but I can't drop $2500 on rims and tires.

I've been running 275s, on 15x8.5s, the back since I put the Cordoba back on the road more than 15 years ago and never had any interference problems. I was running 225s on the front but, the last time I replaced them I was having a hard time finding the BFG Radial T/As (I like the old school look) in that size and switched to 215s.

I agree with the mismatched wheel sizes and don't think it'll be too much longer before 14's are only available from specialty companies like Coker ($$$$). Besides, I think the "big & little" look only really works on traditional hot rods. Another thing to consider is your brake size, I'm not sure the "big" (for the era anyway) disc brake rotors would fit inside a 14 inch wheel.

Mine don't have the big brakes, not a cop package car.
Now that I think about it I have an aunt that had a 75 fury wagon, and it had 14s on it. My dad had a 78 monaco crestwood wagon and it was 15s.
My cousin had a 77 fury wagon (his mom had the 75) also with 15s. So maybe 14s would fit?
Don't care since I really wasn't wanting to run 14s anyway.
I saw a pair of 15x 8-1/2 at that swap, between the guy only having 2, and not knowing if they'd be too wide, I left them.

I found a set of staggered width Cragars yesterday for a great price, pic shows a stack of 4 with only the top wheel showing in the ad, stored inside.... so hopefully they are in good shape.... I talked with the local Discount Tire yesterday about tire availability in the sizes I am considering.... the back tires I am looking at are only 1/2" taller than the fronts I am considering. Unsure at this point about what widths the wheels are, will know when I see them.
These have tires with them but I'm expecting them to be old and needing replaced.....Ill tell you what, some of these CL guys are crazy in what they are asking for a pair of rusty pitted wheels that need redone (of which I would have no clue where to send them for that, not interested in a set that needs that)
I havent seen them in a while, If I get these, I will need to find a set of shank lug nuts to work with unilugs..... I'll know in a few hours.
Still unsure if I want staggered wheels, just kinda "winging it" right now to see what comes up..... not really sure I know exactly what I want til I see it.

update, this morning's CL wild goose chase was just that... came home empty handed. Rims werent terrible, a lil surface rust that I'm sure would have polished out but weren't what he said, so I didn't take them. He had fronts that were 14s, and claimed he "didn't know" that. I helped him dig them out of the corner of an enclosed trailer. 2-1/2 hour round trip for nothing.... I have a single, 15x7 US Wheel saved on my watch list, 15x7, straight 5 on 4-1/2 pattern for a better than decent price for new, (no unilugs, yay) If I can find 3 more, I'll go ahead and get.....

When i was shopping for wheels (new) i found that wheelsforless and Extreme Customs, were cheaper than summit or jegs. Wheelsforless even includes free lugs and caps with their wheels. (Or, at least they did, last i looked) The important part if you arent buying local is the free shipping.

I found one that I like, on Ebay. brand new. Coincidentally Jegs has "only 3 available" of the same wheels.... supposedly, the Ebay seller bought 5 at the time he bought his.... and is now "changing wheels" and has this one left over. The pix on Ebay show a manufacture date of 2016.....
All would be free shipping, from both sources.
I wonder if I could somehow finagle a discount at Jegs with the idea that 3 wheels won't do many people much good....

There is a set of Keystones that showed up on Facebook Market place. They are in my town and I know which car they came off of. Do not know how far away you are or if your interested, but a FYI.

There is a set of Keystones that showed up on Facebook Market place. They are in my town and I know which car they came off of. Do not know how far away you are or if your interested, but a FYI.
Well where a bouts would that be?
If it helps I'm like an hour south of Chicago
I don't do Fakebook, my wife does a little bit on there.

welll..... after seeing too many pairs of wheels with no mates for $450/pair (used), and 1 too many 140 mile road trips " CL wild goose chases" for wheels that weren't as described-- whether they only showed the "best" wheel they had/ and the rest were junk, or were mismatched sizes (which I wasn't told about) I did decide to break down and buy new ones... I wasn't wanting to..... this car is far from pristine, but I wanted better than what I was seeing pop up..... (the lack of car shows/swaps lately, didn't help those matters) plus, the "only a couple thousand miles a year" thing... and a few other reasons....
but I ended up getting a set of US Wheel "Cragar lookalike" in 15x7s.... then after, I was wondering if I should have gotten a different color/texture..... like the argent "rough spoke" (for lack of a better way to describe) maybe... but anyway I think it's decided...https://www.bing.com/th?id=OP.8s80v....1&bw=0&bc=FFFFFF&w=136&h=136&qlt=100&dpr=1.1
Im no good at posting pix and other computer stuff.... hope it shows up/ US Wheel 462-5212
and I went with all 15x7, not staggered like I originally wanted to.

now to figure out what tires to get..... probably something like Cooper Cobra in 225/70-15.... Id actually like bigger especially in back.... but this is a cruiser not a racer....so Ill probably go with all 4 the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back