• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nothing when turning the key

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
When I turn the key to start, nothing happens. No click, buzz, or anything. If I jump the start solenoid, it turns over just fine. Wipers and lights (most of them) are working also, so it seems the switch itself is functioning.

Check current to solenoid from switch before replacing it. A bad solenoid will not click.

If it's a 4-speed with clutch safety switch maybe the connector wire unplugged or switch is bad. The switch grounds the starter relay when the clutch pedal is depressed.

If it's a 4-speed with clutch safety switch maybe the connector wire unplugged or switch is bad. The switch grounds the starter relay when the clutch pedal is depressed.
That depends on the year. There was no such thing as a clutch safety switch till stupid people started driving and blaming others for their stupidity.

Will it start if you jump it at the relay? Mine did the same thing and it was the ignition wire from the bulkhead connector to the relay. Replaced the wire and problem solved

No, on mine it was just the wire coming from the firewall to the starter relay and I just spliced a new wire in. I used a voltmeter and traced it down that way. If you turn the key to the on position and take a screwdriver and jump the posts on the relay and it starts, it's likely a short, the switch or the relay. Unless...you still haven't said what year car, 4 speed or auto. If you do have neutral safety switch, that could also be the culprit.
You really need a voltmeter to track it down

Last edited:
No, on mine it was just the wire coming from the firewall to the starter relay and I just spliced a new wire in. I used a voltmeter and traced it down that way. If you turn the key to the on position and take a screwdriver and jump the posts on the relay and it starts, it's likely a short, the switch or the relay. Unless...you still haven't said what year car, 4 speed or auto. If you do have neutral safety switch, that could also be the culprit.
You really need a voltmeter to track it down
Or a test light.

Sorry, there is room now.

I have a 71 440 R/T auto.
The original slapstick was replaced with a B&M.
I have 2 different ignition keys that seem to work, at least they unlock the column and turn the cylinder.
I have a multimeter

Did you try starting it in neutral? This would rule out an issue with your neutral safety switch. If it starts in neutral, either the switch is bad or the transmission is not properly engaging it

Neutral saftey switch completes the ground to the starter relay. Simplest test is to disconnect the safety switch and ground the relay terminal.
Its either ground or power.

Update

I found the neutral safety switch harness was bad at the connector. The harness was the same cost as just the connector, so I bought the harness. Ignition now works.

Thanks for all the input/help !!

Auto Transport Service
Back