• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nothing Works!

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am new and just bought a 1969 RR. I replaced the steering box because it was leaking bad. I put everything back together and now it doesn't start, lights don't work, basically nothing works. I found 2 wires that came loose during the installation. One wire is under the dash and goes to the coil. The other wire, which is short comes from the starter relay, the B wire and goes no where. Could it be one of these wires that is causing my problem of nothing working? Thanks!

Pictures would be more helpful.. Starter relay pictures and wires in question. There are multiple wires on a starter relay. If you didnt unplug anything when installing the steering gear. Then I would start by check any and everything close to the steering gear. ALA battery and grounds.

Neutral safety switch maybe?
Look for a loose wire down towards the driver side of the trans. This is a ground for the starter relay.

If nothing at all works you may have a loose connection at the firewall bulkhead. Easy to knock stuff loose when moving the steering column around.

Pictures would be more helpful.. Starter relay pictures and wires in question. There are multiple wires on a starter relay. If you didnt unplug anything when installing the steering gear. Then I would start by check any and everything close to the steering gear. ALA battery and grounds.

Here is a picture of the starter relay with the wire that isn't going to anything. The other wire that goes no where is under the console and one end is connected to coil. The wire in the picture goes to the starter relay on the right hand side bottom.

Wire.jpeg

If nothing at all works you may have a loose connection at the firewall bulkhead. Easy to knock stuff loose when moving the steering column around.

I checked and nothing is loose on the bulkhead, as far as I can see!

If nothing works at all i would start with the basics, battery cable ends loose. battery charged, then go from there.

If nothing works at all i would start with the basics, battery cable ends loose. battery charged, then go from there.

Battery is charged, I charged it last night. The battery cables seem new, very good condition. None of the cables are loose.

you said basically nothing works,so what works?

Battery is charged correct

Ok several issues.
That bare wire is what is supposed to be the neutral safety. It looks like it was under the mounting bolt for the relay.
Second is the wire from battery stud going right through the firewall with no insulator.
That's a dangerous one.

Battery is charged, I charged it last night. The battery cables seem new, very good condition. None of the cables are loose.
Ok so look at your ground make sure that it is tight were it goes to the block, also look at your positive were it connect to your starter solenoid, the other wire that connects to the solenoid with the positive should feed your interior trace it through your bulk head connector to ign switch using a voltmeter or test light. you should be able to find the problem

Ok several issues.
That bare wire is what is supposed to be the neutral safety. It looks like it was under the mounting bolt for the relay.
Second is the wire from battery stud going right through the firewall with no insulator.
That's a dangerous one.

So mount the starter relay wire going to nowhere goes to the mounting bolt of the starter relay?

Second, what kind of insulation does that battery wire need? I better get that fixed!

Automatic or manual transmission?
Automatic the wire should go to the switch on the Trans.
The wire going through the firewall would normally be in a bulkhead connector. At a minimum it should have heat shrink or a grommet in the firewall.

Any time you have a hole through metal, a rubber grommet should be inserted to keep the wire from rubbing on steel. Pick what works best.
Insulation-Push-In-Grommets.jpg

in your picture in the upper left corner i see what looks like a wire connector eyelet, what is that?. the insulator he is talking about would be a round rubber shield so that the body does not cut in to the wire. that wire should have ran through the bulk head connector i believe.

Ok so look at your ground make sure that it is tight were it goes to the block, also look at your positive were it connect to your starter solenoid, the other wire that connects to the solenoid with the positive should feed your interior trace it through your bulk head connector to ign switch using a voltmeter or test light. you should be able to find the problem

OK, I am very week in the electrical area but I will try. The ground is tight. I think the other stuff is good. I couldn't figure out how to test it with a meter though. What I am wondering is why I don't even have lights?

Auto Transport Service
Back