• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NSS Engine setback rules ??

Mike Gaines

Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
This is a pix of my old funny car from 1967, right after I set the engine back 26" and before I put on the Hilborn Fuel Injection.
I wonder if this would pass the NSS rules that the motor couldn't touch the firewall....well, the motor didn't touch the stock firewall...because I remove it...lol
Remember, I was 24 years old at that time and did all this in the back room of my Speed Shop.
Thought you guys would like this pix...

20110624_47.JPG 20110624_74.JPG b body pix frame.jpg Hilborns.jpg

Last edited:
Cool vintage Pics Mike!
Yeah, huh?
Looks like sort of a Funny car!
Wishing I had that car today
And again, thanks Mike for sharing this....

NMCA F/X:
(FX CLASSES): Engine plates and solid engine mounts permitted.
Engine set back permitted. Engine may not be set back more than 12 inches as measured from the front spark plug hole and the factory stock (OEM) location.
Doug

maybe it'd fly in some Nostalgia Racing assoc.'s
under AWB/AFX standards or Altered etc.

PS: That was quite a set of Headers you had there!
The headers you can see (looking thru the car door) were called RAMCHARGER MARK III headers. I understand that only 3 sets of them were ever made. Each tube was exactly 40" long before they hit the collector. They had several slip joints for the installation. They were NOT fenderwell headers. I bought these in 1965 from Al Ekstrand's Max Wedge Lightweight car called the LAWMAN.

The headers you can see looking thru the cut out firewall was just a set of headers that I fabricated and they were 4 individual tubes on each side that just dumped behind the front wheel well as shown in the other picture

Auto Transport Service
Back