• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Numb steering either side of centre

Woodsy

Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 68 Charger that I recently got road legal here in New Zealand.
I changed all bushings, new pitman and idler arms, new ball joints, engine mounts, shocks etc. With exception to the new shocks the rest of the suspension is original.
The original power steering was broken beyond repair so I replaced it with a Borgeson power steering unit. The car was on original size and spec wheels and tyres. The changes have made it drive like a dream.
I have since changed the wheels and tyres to 245/40/18 up front and 295/35/18 out rear on Michelin Pilot S4’s. I had the alignment done after these were installed. Since then I have had some issues with the steering. From 10 o’clock to centre through to 2 o’clock the steering is numb and without feel and then immediately outside of 10 and 2 o’clock the steering suddenly bites - not ideal at speed. Obviously the change to wider wheels has caused this. Given I am not the first to go to wider wheels has anyone experienced this before? And if so how did you solve it? I am thinking the stock upper and lower control arms are at their limit of toe and castor and am wondering if an upgrade to QA1 (or similar) upper and lower control arms may assist in fixing it?

What made the sudden change, the wheels and tires or the alignment?

Not sure as it was aligned straight after they were fitted without driving in between.

What made the sudden change, the wheels and tires or the alignment?

Not sure as it was aligned straight after they were fitted without driving in between.

Attached is the wheel alignment report

76A36C1C-C8AC-4C39-B0E2-33A01328034E.jpeg

Pictures of the car? I'd like to see how those low profile rear tires look.

Pictures of the car? I'd like to see how those low profile rear tires look.
Here’s a few photos but probably aren’t that great for what you are looking at. Will take some more specifically of the rear wheels later this week.

76D1A514-0A3C-4158-8744-0CE64485853E.jpeg 6D411F83-9052-47CC-8D67-BB117B7C9784.jpeg BAC7DCF1-87FF-4A92-ABD1-BA2123723165.jpeg

Thank you. I have a pair of 285 35 18s that I bought a couple of years ago. I have 295 45s on now and wanted a shorter sidewall. I wasn't sure if the 35 series would look too short for me. Yours look great!

Folsom 6 (2).JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back