• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nylock nuts instead of castles?

max340

Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
Do you think it’s a good idea to toss the castle nuts and install nylon locking nuts instead?

I just prefer a physical lock that you can see/inspect, and can be adjusted and re-used again and again.
Those nylon inserts can fall apart with age, heat, oil contamination etc and once loosened lose their integrity.

They both have their place, I build airplanes and most bolts get nylocks. Anything that turns or rotates gets a castle and cotter pin. Front suspension on a B body isn't the "place" for a nylock.

There are nylock castle nuts available for aircraft aplications. The best of both worlds. Probably not cheap $

They both have their place, I build airplanes and most bolts get nylocks. Anything that turns or rotates gets a castle and cotter pin. Front suspension on a B body isn't the "place" for a nylock.
I helped a friend with his plane and lots of parts under the "hood" had stainless wire through them once torqued!!

I helped a friend with his plane and lots of parts under the "hood" had stainless wire through them once torqued!!
Yep, generally a bolt into a tapped hole. Brake caliper bolts, prop bolts, etc... or anything else you don't want falling off!
cggnbcleanupmay2021 447.JPG

So you replace all the castle nuts ... now you have to buy spare nylocs to replace any that you ever remove.

Nylocks can't be all that bad, they use a similar locking method on the brake caliper bracket bolts - with the small nylon button insert.

Think for a minute Stan. Front suspension joints are morse taper.. how do you get the nylock nut down the stud to the tightening surface, to start pulling the taper stud into the socket, before the stud starts spinning!

They use nylon locks on new vehicles.
Go Check your tie rod ends and ball joints on a newer ram for example.

I should mention that personally, no, I wouldn't use them on my old mopars

I wouldn't use nylocks on critical applications and don't reuse them on other applications.

Why would anyone want to re-engineer something that's not broke? We have a hard enough time
without thinking of ways to make life harder!

Yes I'm talking front suspension. I only thought of the option when my castle nut wasn't tall enough and the cotter pin hole wasn't inside the little gaps. I think dadsbee has a good point in that any bolts that will rotate normally should have a pin. No, I'm not trying to re engineer and I'm not smarter than the chrysler engineers

Last edited:
Yes I'm talking front suspension. I only thought of the option when my castle nut wasn't tall enough and the cotter pin hole wasn't inside the little gaps.

I always thought that the spindle nut (front wheel bearing retainer) was called a SLOTTED NUT. A CASTLE NUT is a different type of nut...its taller and slightly conical shaped (like a castle) at the top. The FSM notes re suspension fittings (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.) If torqued to correct value, and the cotter pin hole is not aligned, TIGHTEN the nut so the cotter pin can be inserted.....DO NOT LOOSEN THE NUT.
I'm a big fan of SAFETY WIRE on rotating components, such as ring gear bolts, using safety wire pliers to spin the wire after treading it thru the drilled bolt heads. NYLOCK fasteners (nuts or bolts) are single use fastener. Discard after removing. Just my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON

Yes I'm talking front suspension. I only thought of the option when my castle nut wasn't tall enough and the cotter pin hole wasn't inside the little gaps. I think dadsbee has a good point in that any bolts that will rotate normally should have a pin. No, I'm not trying to re engineer and I'm not smarter than the chrysler engineers

Put a washer under it.

Auto Transport Service
Back