• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Observations made in the course of everyday life.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
Day by day, we go about our lives and unless we are idiots, we pick up little bits of knowledge either from advice from another or by screwing something up and learning from it. Those that spend their lives on the couch surely don't pick up as much as the dudes that are out there mixing it up with others.
Youth is wasted on the young....as I get older, I can see the wisdom in that phrase. If a man had a teenager body and a seasoned mind, he would be unstoppable, right?

Like you people, I'm out there doing things every day. Sometimes I stumble across something new. It could be a different route home that is faster or more scenic, a new store that opened up, it could be anything.

Saturday, I learned something that I sort of already knew.
Women don't like to be reminded about their weight.

Really??

1 D B.jpg

Yeah...the wife has mentioned the desire to lose weight over the past few years. Saturday, she was ready to order some tacos at the drive through. She wanted more than her usual order.
I said...."I thought you were wanting to lose weight."
She was not pleased.

1 crazy.jpg

Hey...I know that I sometimes lack proper TACT when talking with people. I sometimes go off of impulse and forget to phrase my words in a more palatable form.

I don't set out to be rude or mean, the words just sometimes spew out.

When we were in Tennessee last week, I noticed all sorts of things.
People were friendly. Were they that way because WE were happy to be there? I never have stayed at a hotel here in town. Maybe the people here are nice too.
The lakes we went by had no sand at the shore. Is that common there?

When we were in Tennessee last week, I noticed all sorts of things.
People were friendly. Were they that way because WE were happy to be there? I never have stayed at a hotel here in town. Maybe the people here are nice too.
A lot of those lakes in Tennessee are man made, well sort of. They came from damming up the Tennessee river in different places. Look up the Tennessee river on a map, it's EVERYWHERE in Tennessee.

Day by day, we go about our lives and unless we are idiots, we pick up little bits of knowledge either from advice from another or by screwing something up and learning from it. Those that spend their lives on the couch surely don't pick up as much as the dudes that are out there mixing it up with others.
Youth is wasted on the young....as I get older, I can see the wisdom in that phrase. If a man had a teenager body and a seasoned mind, he would be unstoppable, right?

Like you people, I'm out there doing things every day. Sometimes I stumble across something new. It could be a different route home that is faster or more scenic, a new store that opened up, it could be anything.

Saturday, I learned something that I sort of already knew.
Women don't like to be reminded about their weight.

Really??

View attachment 1127712

Yeah...the wife has mentioned the desire to lose weight over the past few years. Saturday, she was ready to order some tacos at the drive through. She wanted more than her usual order.
She was not pleased.

View attachment 1127713

Hey...I know that I sometimes lack proper TACT when talking with people. I sometimes go off of impulse and forget to phrase my words in a more palatable form.

So it's safe to say you didn't get any extra taco that night either...

OIP.jpeg

The one observation that I made early on is one that my dad introduced me to, and I introduced my daughter to. It has served all three of us very well. You MUST have absolute honesty and integrity. That will carry you through many things.
In my case it got me the job that I have had for twenty one years. I work for the government, as their painter. I work in four communities in about eighty buildings. I have pretty much ZERO accountability to anyone, because they trust me to show up, do my job well, and not steal anything or cheat on hours. I am on the road alone for weeks at a time, I make my own schedule, do what I want. I am so very careful to not rock that boat because I’ve had shitty jobs. The oil patch, for example. Where we were treated like animals. Some of us were.
My wife trusts me, and I appreciate that. She should trust me.
Even people who don’t like my personality respect my integrity.
For a time I was probably the only person ever to have master keys to both all federal and territorial government buildings. Think about that for a second: the master keys to all levels of all government buildings with no accountability. That’s a big responsibility.

I’m not perfect, far from it. But I can look anyone in the eye, and I can sleep easy.
My daughter is the same. Got her first job at 12 as the grocery stores youngest employee. At fourteen she was in charge of cashier training. She got head hunted at 16 by another store to sell paint, and the first week they gave her keys to the multi million dollar business. She kept both jobs to put herself through med school.

Last edited:
Back in the 30's, Roosevelt started the TVA Tenn valley authority act. They built dams, dealt with erosion, etc

Well I mean, come on....as a son of the spawn of satan, that's sort of part and parcel, right? :)
(And we males are ALL sons...)

Hate to break it to you....but we ain't anywhere near an ocean. :D

So it's safe to say you didn't get any extra taco that night either...
Captain Obvious.jpg

They also don't like it when you use the C word to describe their current personality. I dodged a remote control that hit the door behind my head. I learned something that day. Don't call her the C-word when she is within reaching distance of anything that can be turned into a missile. Also I spent 2 hours putting the remote back together.

The one observation that I made early on is one that my dad introduced me to, and I introduced my daughter to. It has served all three of us very well. You MUST have absolute honesty and integrity. That will carry you through many things.
In my case it got me the job that I have had for twenty one years. I work for the government, as their painter. I work in four communities in about eighty buildings. I have pretty much ZERO accountability to anyone, because they trust me to show up, do my job well, and not steal anything or cheat on hours. I am on the road alone for weeks at a time, I make my own schedule, do what I want. I am so very careful to not rock that boat because I’ve had shitty jobs. The oil patch, for example. Where we were treated like animals. Some of us were.
My wife trusts me, and I appreciate that. She should trust me.
Even people who don’t like my personality respect my integrity.
For a time I was probably the only person ever to have master keys to both all federal and territorial government buildings.
I’m not perfect, far from it. But I can look anyone in the eye, and I can sleep easy.
My daughter is the same. Got her first job at 12 as the grocery stores youngest employee. At fourteen she was in charge of cashier training. She got head hunted at 16 by another store to sell paint, and the first week they gave her keys to the multi million dollar business. She kept both jobs to put herself through med school.
Amen, brother.
There are many out there that think being bluntly truthful is a bad thing - they insist on sugar coating things
and are more willing to accept stuff if it is, regardless of whether it's honest or not.
The packaging - rather than the product inside.
It's a lazy and phony way to go through life.

I'm quite often brutally, bluntly honest - not only am I being truthful, but I'm relaying it in a way that's meant
not to have any chance of being misconstrued.
Well, so much for those efforts....
Some of our dimmer bulbed fellow humans receive such as me being "negative".
Horseshit.

They also don't like it when you use the C word to describe their current personality. I dodged a remote control that hit the door behind my head. I learned something that day. Don't call her the C-word when she is within reaching distance of anything that can be turned into a missile. Also I spent 2 hours putting the remote back together.
That's an ugly, vile word - and yes, probably their most hated one.
Rightfully so. It shows a total lack of respect and tact to use it, even in jest.

That's an ugly, vile word - and yes, probably their most hated one.
Rightfully so. It shows a total lack of respect and tact to use it, even in jest.
I agree it is a vial word. I said "You don't have to be a C" It was in the heat of the moment and I knew it would get the reaction I was looking for. I just didn't expect a remote to be thrown at me. We made up and all is well. I just know not to use that word.. I just keep it tucked away "Just incase" :) I'm not perfect and never claimed to be.

When I stand in a doorway of a house, I notice nails not driven flush, crooked blocks, gaps in seams and other flaws.
I read stuff on these forums and the spelling and grammar errors stand out the same way.
My work in construction often involves looking for flaws and correcting them. THAT trait is partly why I wince when I read bad grammar.

Hate to break it to you....but we ain't anywhere near an ocean.

Uh ... you don't need to be near the ocean to have sandy beaches! In fact, if you dug a pond in my back yard, you'd have a pure white sandy beach, and I'm probably a good 700 miles from the nearest ocean!!

I learned some time ago that even the word bitch is a big trigger.
I told the first wife once...You're acting like a bitch."
"Did you just call me a bitch ???"
"I didn't CALL you a bitch, I said that you were ACTING like a bitch"
She failed to see the difference.

She was not pleased.
Oops!

2b04955ee911052d6f89130b9940b3ee_w200.gif

Uh ... you don't need to be near the ocean to have sandy beaches! In fact, if you dug a pond in my back yard, you'd have a pure white sandy beach, and I'm probably a good 700 miles from the nearest ocean!!
Folsom Lake is 1/2 mile from me where I shot these pictures....

Folsom 1.JPG
Folsom 8.JPG

Sandy decomposed granite right there...

I agree it is a vial word. I said "You don't have to be a C" It was in the heat of the moment and I knew it would get the reaction I was looking for. I just didn't expect a remote to be thrown at me. We made up and all is well. I just know not to use that word.. I just keep it tucked away "Just incase" :) I'm not perfect and never claimed to be.
My stepfather used to call the "c" word a 5 dollar bill word. All other words were 1 dollar bill words. I remember one time he called my mother a "5 dollar bill". Not that actual word, just 5 dollar bill. She went NUTS!! The Sicilian in her came roaring out.

:rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back