• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Octane boosters

Johnpat

Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Boostane& does it work
Need to have at least 100 after adding to
6gals
Running 492 Hemi 10.75 comp

I use Fast-Gas. My 494 seems to like the flavor. Never tried the one your suggesting. We have only 91 octane here in CA

Guys here have used race gas with good results. Someone posted recently that they added octane booster (over the counter I’m assuming) while engine was on the dyno and it did nothing.

A Hemi with that compression should run fine on the 93 octane you can get in your state. Hemi engines need less timing than Wedge engines, often less than 30 degrees total. I'd consider slowing the rate of advance if you are having detonation problems. Race gas is a crutch if the car is to be primarily street driven. Mixing in "boosters" that are the fuel equivalent of "Spanish Fly" is a pointless endeavor.

Kern Dog appreciate your answer,but have been
running this setup for 6 yrs.
Have found it to run cooler with past mixture of
6 gal 93 with 2 gals of 110 turbo blue.
Timing total 32/initial of 14 deg.
Just don't want to upset what I have.
Runs & starts great.

OK guys, I have not tested either of the octane boosters mentioned, but I will let you in on a couple little "industry secrets".
1. For most octane boosters, when they say "raises octane 5 points" what they really mean is "raises octane 0.5 RMA octane" (point "5") and let consumers "think" it means 93+5=98...it really means 93+0.5=93.5 (in the ones I've tested).
2. Methyl cyclodienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) is really the only true "octane booster in a can". It is very light sensitive & more importantly, there's only so much you can shove into a 12 oz. bottle, plus it's expensive. So, products that have this usually don't have a lot of it & only help a little bit.
3. tetraethyl lead & tetramethyl lead (what "regular gas" used to have) could be used....but it's poisonous & will kill a catalytic converter. "Some" race gases still contain these.

Basic chemicals like toluene & xylene (common paint thinners) have octane ratings around 100-110 (can't remember exactly), but they don't have any of the fuel detergents or other good additives in them. One el-cheapo way to boost your gas is to blend one of these maybe 1 part xylene to 2 parts 93 octane gasoline (just for track use)...and it's not practical to carry a drum of xylene in your trunk.

In my opinion, the best option for a street car is to build it for the gas you can get (say 93 octane). You could carry some of the "octane in a can" or toluene/xylene in case you get low on fuel & can only find 91 octane or something (emergency only). Personally, I'm building a new motor to run on 91 octane so I can get by on the worst premium & be able to drive across the country.

To JohnPat..... Kern Dog knows what he's talking about. If your blend works for you, then keep running it & be happy. IF you want to drive cross-country in the car, maybe work on some timing modifications ahead of time to run on 93 & carry some "octane in a can" or 20 gal. of turbo blue in your trunk...a little dangerous, but what the heck. Maybe a fuel cell to hold it?

Just my 2-cents.

I'm not discountimg any of your experiences or knowledge.
I don't know all of your back grounds & you don't
know mine,but I can say this.
I'm in my late 60's & have had extensive mecanical
experience probably similar to you guys.
I agree alot of octane boosters are snake oil,but
Boostane seems different,look it up.

Mixing in "boosters" that are the fuel equivalent of "Spanish Fly" is a pointless endeavor.

Did someone say Spanish Fly?

maxresdefault.jpg

Whatever happened to water injection for emergency use?--Or the magnets for the proper fuel molecular alignment.:)

Maybe this is an issue with someone that is pushing for a best time in a drag race. But with a CR of 10.75 it seems like an unnecessary concern.
I have been running about that CR for 40 years with whatever gas I could find and have had no fuel related issues I know of.

If you really need 100 octane the best way to know you have it is to buy it. --You will never sleep well with mixes you are led to believe will give you what you seek. If for no other reason than it is a mix with whatever you have in your tank at the time of the "mix" or addition of the additive of choice.

Never tried boostane, but have used Torco...it works but I've never run it long term.

Nobody worries about cancer risks with this stuff?

One thing is true. Your car wil like it and feel bigger too. Just ask your passengers.

Why would you worry about cancer risks? It’s not like your ingesting the stuff and I’m sure everyone is wearing gloves at a bare minimum. But I could be wrong.

Whatever happened to water injection for emergency use?--Or the magnets for the proper fuel molecular alignment.:)

Maybe this is an issue with someone that is pushing for a best time in a drag race. But with a CR of 10.75 it seems like an unnecessary concern.
I have been running about that CR for 40 years with whatever gas I could find and have had no fuel related issues I know of.

If you really need 100 octane the best way to know you have it is to buy it. --You will never sleep well with mixes you are led to believe will give you what you seek. If for no other reason than it is a mix with whatever you have in your tank at the time of the "mix" or addition of the additive of choice.
Used to use water injection on a turbo charged
360 cu.in a 4x4 Ramcharger back in 76
Did alot of sand dragging.Worked great.

Auto Transport Service
Back