• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

odd ball ignitions

HALIFAXHOPS

MSGT(ret) and MOPAR only distributor rebuilder!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
Some I have
001-jpg.jpg
002-jpg.jpg
003-jpg.jpg
004-jpg.jpg
005-jpg.jpg
006-jpg.jpg
008-jpg.jpg
007-jpg.jpg

009-jpg.jpg
010-jpg.jpg
011-jpg.jpg
012-jpg.jpg

Prestolight transignitor 250 made for Mopar early superstock cars black is pre 67 blue is post 67 Can also be used on some Studebaker Avanties.
dsc00773-jpg.jpg
dsc00771-jpg.jpg
dsc00772-jpg.jpg

Getting there. Since I do the distributors it is fitting. Really need a place to display them.

I was waiting to see a vacuum tube ignition system in there :)

Tell the kids, "Can't leave right now, have to wait for the ignition to warm up."

That I have never seen in person. Most of these are basically a CDI ignition.

I was waiting to see a vacuum tube ignition system in there :)

Tell the kids, "Can't leave right now, have to wait for the ignition to warm up."
Along with the humming noise. :lol:

Nice collection Hoppy!

Funny heathkit or some one made one in the 50's I believe!

It was a joke, mostly for those born before before 1970.

I listen to “Sunday’s with Sinatra” on 1210 WPHT out of Philadelphia on this 1931 Philco 90, with original finished cabinet. I’ve replaced the paper capacitors.
E9445AEB-5D53-4005-ACA9-BDCBA2E728F7.jpeg

I listen to “Sunday’s with Sinatra” on 1210 WPHT out of Philadelphia on this 1931 Philco 90, with original finished cabinet. I’ve replaced the paper capacitors.View attachment 1222608
That's a gorgeous cathedral radio. I always wanted the one my Grandpa had. I don't know where it ended up.

Funny heathkit or some one made one in the 50's I believe!

YES.....Heathkit CP-1060 was a easily assembled, expertly engineered, reasonably priced retrofit system that had a onboard push button switch, that allowed the system to revert back to conventional points system in the unlikely event of failure. The system provided the coil with, an approximately 400 volt pulse, from an on-board capacitor (hence the name capacitor discharge system) which the coil used to produced the high voltage spark INDUCTIVELY. The term "capacitor discharge system" is somewhat of a mis-nomer as the coil is an inductive device.....and that it produces the high voltage spark not the capacitor directly.
BOB RENTON

Bob was that a tube unit or just a CD? Curious I would love to find a broken tube one for the shelf.

Bob was that a tube unit or just a CD? Curious I would love to find a broken tube one for the shelf.
Ray,
Good morning and trust that you are well and prospering this day.....the Heathkit unit was strictly solid state, triggered from the points distributor...no tubes. I built and installed one years ago on a '65 Valiant Signa 2dr ht with a 225 /6 and 904 TF trans. It worked very well ...never changed the points because of the low current being switched....MPG was about the same....no MEGA increase in HP.....unlike what is being claimed by the current venue of today's equipment suppliers....and their supporters....
BOB RENTON

When I first acquired the GTX, approximately 35 years ago, it had the origional MSD ignition box with the 5 prong Mopar plug on one end.......I removed it and associated wiring, deposited all in the round file, installed a numbers matching Prestolite dual point distributor.....and never looked back....just my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON

Ray,
Good morning and trust that you are well and prospering this day.....the Heathkit unit was strictly solid state, triggered from the points distributor...no tubes. I built and installed one years ago on a '65 Valiant Signa 2dr ht with a 225 /6 and 904 TF trans. It worked very well ...never changed the points because of the low current being switched....MPG was about the same....no MEGA increase in HP.....unlike what is being claimed by the current venue of today's equipment suppliers....and their supporters....
BOB RENTON

Ray,
To continue your quest for information about a vacuum tube ignition system....IF one did exist, it would likely be something that used a gas thyratron device such as a # 2D21 tube or a 2050 tube do do the switching. These type of tubes acted like modern SCRs (conducts in one direction only) or TriAC (a bi-directional.SCR that conducts in both directions) and the tubes used mercury gas as the conductive media rather than silicon. The gas thyratron tube can be used for higher current switching but is subjected to vibration and erratic operation due to ageing and has a filament that can fail. These circuits use to be used in variable AC motor control applications, similar to the old Ward-Leonard speed control systems (amplidyne devices)....
BOB RENTON

Thanks Bob. If I fall across one it would be nice to add it.

Auto Transport Service
Back