• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd six pack behavior?

Kowal

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:57 AM
Reaction score
I was helping a friend tune his V code Runner. Everything came out great, car runs strong. But…while tuning it we ended up with the rod connecting to the rear outer carb misadjusted so that it just cracked the butterflies open, the result was the engine jumped to 4500 rpm when started and was uncontrollable. The problem stopped when we disconnected the connecting rods to the carbs and, once reset, has not returned.

I hadn’t seen this before. Was this to be expected or is this maybe tied to a problem with the secondary vacuum diaphragm on that carb such as the membrane being ripped? I can’t believe in years of messing with six packs that I had always gotten the rod adjustment right and that is why I have never seen this!

With no connected rods attached, vacuum lines attached, the outer carbs are very firmly shut when the car idles which is what I expected it would be.

Last edited:
The rods ensure the throttles go closed. If the cam is mild and the vacuum is strong, airflow can pull the carb open with the rod mis-adjusted, then the airflow through the venturi causes the carb to open more. If a diaphragm rips, it results in a vacuum leak and the carb not opening.

If you can't drink a sixpack & not behave normally your aa lightweight....

Oh, and Demonic covered it..

Auto Transport Service
Back