• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd VIN I can't figure out

Rusty knuckles

Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
So i have a 68 Charger that I'm thinking of building. It's stripped to a shell but is a solid car. Do I'm decoding the VIN and kinda thrown for a loop. I always understood this car to be a 383 car. However when I run the vin off the radiator support it's
XP29B8XI-----
So the B would indicate slant 6. What the heck is the XI followed by 5 digits? X doesn't seem to match up with any vin decoders I've looked at. I'm guessing the I is a 1 but is very clearly stamped as I.

A 68 shouldn't have the VIN on the radiator yoke, It should have the SO number & there shouldn't be any XP29 stampings... There should be nothing that would give you engine size....

Maybe it was crashed and repaired at some point with parts from a slant. What's the dash VIN say? :xscuseless:
There isn't a dash vin. No dash at all.

A 68 shouldn't have the VIN on the radiator yoke, It should have the SO number & there shouldn't be any XP29 stampings... There should be nothing that would give you engine size....
Ok this is making more sense. You are correct in that it does not actually say XP29. I added that just knowing that's part of the vin.
Here is how it appears without the last 3 digits.
20220226_113241.jpg

Thats more like it.... Only way to tie that to the VIN is the broadcast sheet....

ok Ill take a guess B= Hamtramck built, 8= 1968 X= Charger, then SO #

So i have a 68 Charger that I'm thinking of building. It's stripped to a shell but is a solid car. Do I'm decoding the VIN and kinda thrown for a loop. I always understood this car to be a 383 car. However when I run the vin off the radiator support it's
XP29B8XI-----
So the B would indicate slant 6. What the heck is the XI followed by 5 digits? X doesn't seem to match up with any vin decoders I've looked at. I'm guessing the I is a 1 but is very clearly stamped as I.

VIN should be XP29H8BXXXXXX

Any chance of old registrations? Insurance cards?

Any chance of old registrations? Insurance cards?
Nope. That's why I'm looking for a vin to go to the DMV with. I bought it as a stripped shell probably 15 years ago now. But it's a really nice body so I'd like to build it.

68 & earlier is tough... Supposedly National Crime Information Center has documents tying the SO to the VIN, I doubt it & even if thy did good luck getting info from them.... I suspect your gonna wind up with an assigned VIN..

Nope. That's why I'm looking for a vin to go to the DMV with. I bought it as a stripped shell probably 15 years ago now. But it's a really nice body so I'd like to build it.

no no no....it's all in the wording

that really nice body is donor parts for repairing a damaged/rusty car with a VIN and a clean title

A lot of states have ways to assign a new vin if the car is assembled or a vin was damaged. You will get a decal vin courtesy of your dmv...after you jump through all their hoops.:eek:

A lot of states have ways to assign a new vin if the car is assembled or a vin was damaged. You will get a decal vin courtesy of your dmv...after you jump through all their hoops.:eek:
I actually did this on a 71 charger I fixed up out of the junkyard. I'm fine with assigned vin's. I was just hoping to get one before putting it all together.

Auto Transport Service
Back