• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odometer reading coincidence

ITS A 72 RR

Local time
4:08 PM
Reaction score
Got home from a test drive the other day and looked down at the odometer. it reads 72440.6
BTW I have a 772 440 4bbl. I should have looked when it was at 72440.4

IMG_20190129_115639.jpg

Maybe it’s a sign that your car is begging for a 6 pak :lol:

That would be real nice but it's a numbers matching non restored car. Don't really want to change it up at this point. BTW that's original miles no rollover. It's been in the family since 1979.

Nice! That’s a very cool and special car. 72 must have been the last year for a 440?

What I meant to ask, was 72 the last year they put a 440 in the road runner? I didn’t even realize they came in 72. Thought 71 was the last year

up to 74 440 was available on RRs on the GTX extra package option between 72 and 74 to the RR ( and I think option even on next gen but not anymore as GTX package, can't tell it )

Last edited:
What I meant to ask, was 72 the last year they put a 440 in the road runner? I didn’t even realize they came in 72. Thought 71 was the last year

I know for a fact that the 72 GTX RR had an available 440 4bbl and some say even a few 440 6bbls escaped the factory.

Cool. I owned a 70 Challenger for over 10 years before finally decoding it.....and found out it was built on my birthday! Kept it for a total of 18 years then sold it :( Got any pics posted of your car??

Not sure about road runners etc but the 440 carried on in the land yachts and trucks and for sure in motor homes.

NO such thing as a GTX option or package offered in ‘72-74. A Road Runner could be ordered with an optional 440 HP engine, the model was then renamed “Road Runner GTX”, and GTX badging added. You will not find any reference in factory documents stating that a “GTX” option or package as being available. There is some early ’72 sales/marketing materials that reference the “GTX Engines” (440 4bbl or 6bbl), that’s it. Yes, a V-code 440 was planned for ’72, a few were built before the offering was withdrawn due to failure to meet evaporative emissions requirements for the '72 model year.

1972Plymouthmodelchanges.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back