• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Offenhauser vs Weiand vs Edelbrock

Cheapsunglasses

In Rust We Trust!
Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 1968 GTX, with a 69 Chrysler Newport 350hp 440. The bottom is completely stock, including the cam. The top end has 440 source heads, for all the benefits that an aluminum head offers, and possibly future upgrades. And Stock 440 hp manifolds. I’m contemplating an intake change.

I currently have an offenhauser 360, strange single plane with a divider thing. The car seems to run good, but is this a good intake, for such a tame engine, or dare I say stock engine?

Would I be better off with a dual plane, like the Edelbrock ch4b. Or the Weiand 8008, which I believe is the old action plus? If so is one better then the other?

I built my car in the spirit of late 60s- 70s day 2, or street machine whatever you want to call it. I want to keep that look, these intakes were the direct connection suggestions which is why I wanted to use one, if it’s a better choice. It’s just a fun cruiser, not a race car yet. Any experience and advice is appreciated!
:thumbsup:

For me having a 383 I was using a DP4B like the CH4B but low deck version and was happy with it but then changed gears to 3.91,3000 stahl, 484 purple shaft cam,11.5 p part pistons and went to old school Edelbrock Torker 1 intake. I'm totally happy with this combo and iron heads (906 massaged lightly) just my 2 cents and giving imput. I'm a big Edelbrock fan thou and Holley lover with 780 on top also. Hope others give their input. Happy wrenching ✌️✌✌

That Offy intake is a turd. Ill bet a stock manifold is better. If a cam change is in your future the Eddy RPM is hard to beat. The Holley Street Dominator is also very good. The CH4B and Eddy Performer will work with the stock cam. But so will the previously motioned manifolds. Keep you options open for further growth.
Doug

That Offy intake is a turd. Ill bet a stock manifold is better. If a cam change is in your future the Eddy RPM is hard to beat. The Holley Street Dominator is also very good. The CH4B and Eddy Performer will work with the stock cam. But so will the previously motioned manifolds. Keep you options open for further growth.
Doug
I don’t even know if a cam change will ever happen, it was a 40 or 50k mile engine, when I changed the heads I took a peak at the cam, absolutely beautiful, all shiny, and no discoloration

I should probably reword my original post. The engine doesn’t get hotter then 190 degrees, and the oil pressure never drops below 40psi. It’s a good running engine.

So as much as I like high horse power, I really don’t think I’m changing anything except if the intake is a turd and I can do better. I’d put headers on it before a cam swap, getting it to breathe better is always helpful. Being a reliable fun cruiser is my main goal for now, and probably for a long time.

Hello everyone,

I have a 1968 GTX,

I built my car in the spirit of late 60s- 70s day 2, or street machine whatever you want to call it. I want to keep that look, these intakes were the direct connection suggestions which is why I wanted to use one, if it’s a better choice. It’s just a fun cruiser, not a race car yet. Any experience and advice is appreciated!

we think alike, hood clearance is also an issue...... I sourced a ch4b

I wish you had asked which beer is best, it would be easier to answer!!!
Gear ratio & car weight are factors to consider. Car is heavy-ish. It has stock exh manifolds. Unless it has 3.55 or higher gears, I would not use a single plane intake.
I would use a good dual plane such as the Edel Perf [ not the RPM; it is rated for 1500-6500 rpm, not a good mix with a stock cam ].
The Ch factory intakes were not that great in terms of sharp bends etc. The Perf has smaller CSAs of the runners, smoother bends, compared to the CH4B; 40 yrs of knowledge found that smaller is better.

If you find a CH4B it will be very good for a moderate HP use. They work. Your limiting factor is the exhaust. The Offy intakes were always a bit odd.

I wish you had asked which beer is best, it would be easier to answer!!!
Gear ratio & car weight are factors to consider. Car is heavy-ish. It has stock exh manifolds. Unless it has 3.55 or higher gears, I would not use a single plane intake.
I would use a good dual plane such as the Edel Perf [ not the RPM; it is rated for 1500-6500 rpm, not a good mix with a stock cam ].
The Ch factory intakes were not that great in terms of sharp bends etc. The Perf has smaller CSAs of the runners, smoother bends, compared to the CH4B; 40 yrs of knowledge found that smaller is better.
Thanks! My car has 3.55s.

If you find a CH4B it will be very good for a moderate HP use. They work. Your limiting factor is the exhaust. The Offy intakes were always a bit odd.
Thanks! I bought the intake before I had the car, it was going to go on another project that didn’t happen. That’s really what drew me to the intake, it was pretty cheap, and I’ve never seen one on a car…..if I only I knew why
:lol:

Thanks! I bought the intake before I had the car, it was going to go on another project that didn’t happen. That’s really what drew me to the intake, it was pretty cheap, and I’ve never seen one on a car…..if I only I knew why

Single plane manifolds can work on a street car, with the right carb and correct tuning. But the CH4B is still a real good choice. I can't compare to the modern versions.

If I am reading it correctly, you have the offenhauser on it now, and it runs well. I would leave it alone, and be happy. Until you upgrade the engine, I don't think there is much to be gained from an intake swap

If I am reading it correctly, you have the offenhauser on it now, and it runs well. I would leave it alone, and be happy. Until you upgrade the engine, I don't think there is much to be gained from an intake swap
Yes I have the offy on it now. I’ve been having problems with carb tuning. I wasn’t sure if the intake is causing any issues. That’s why I asked if there’s a better intake. Thanks!

Give it a good check for vacuum leaks around the intake and carb base. Leaks mostly affect idle and off idle, and don't make much difference at higher RPM.

Give it a good check for vacuum leaks around the intake and carb base. Leaks mostly affect idle and off idle, and don't make much difference at higher RPM.
I’ll try to rephrase it so I hopefully don’t sound as stupid. I have a lot mechanical knowledge, I’ve never done any tuning, or performance building though.

I think what I’m trying to ask is, if having the wrong intake on your engine, could it be troublesome to tune, because you have to overcompensate your fuel or air?

I know dual plane and single plane, and even different brands of intakes can effect your power band, and your power. But that’s all I know. Hopefully that makes sense.
:thankyou:

I used to run a std Performer on a re-ringed 68 440 short block with NAPA store machine shop rebuilt 346 heads, and a Crower 271HDP cam.
Ran great with both headers and ex manifolds.
The runners are slightly smaller than a stock manifold so the throttle response is quite good.
I think it would be a pretty good match for for your combo.
I used an old Holley 780 VS carb on mine.

I used to run a std Performer on a re-ringed 68 440 short block with NAPA store machine shop rebuilt 346 heads, and a Crower 271HDP cam.
Ran great with both headers and ex manifolds.
The runners are slightly smaller than a stock manifold so the throttle response is quite good.
I think it would be a pretty good match for for your combo.
I used an old Holley 780 VS carb on mine.
I’m sure this link is link has been put on this site a few times lol. But I’m impressed with how the stock manifold did

Forgot the link Intake Manifold Engine & RPM Range Test - Mopar Muscle Magazine

I look at it the other way.........
A quick & simple swap to an old school Holley SD was worth an additional 61hp.

Granted, you won’t see the same kind of gains if doing that swap on a 400hp test mule.

I look at it the other way.........
A quick simple swap to an old school Holley SD was worth an additional 61hp.
I’ve seen tests of the Holley out performing the performer rpm by a noticeable amount, even down low. But then completely running away at the top end. Plus hood clearance. If I put a single plane it would definitely be the Holley, plus who doesn’t want an intake that says “street dominator”

I just don’t know if my factory non hp cam, and hp manifolds can support that intake. I asked @WileERobby because he likes the Holley also, and has a lot of experience with it, he’s really good guy. He said I’m better off with a dual plane. That’s why I started this thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back