• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil around valve cover filler cap

Huicho417

Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
I was cleaning my engine bay today and noticed a mall amount of oil on top of the valve cover. It looks like it came out of the filler cap. It’s a 67 coronet with a 318, stock valve covers. Is this normal? Or is it time to replace the valve covers and new filler cap? I also noticed a small amount of oil around the bolts. Thanks for the feedback in advanced

F42D7750-F59E-46AC-9A97-033F22AA688F.jpeg

57C5827B-7B1F-4FF9-8433-8205C6F7AD40.jpeg

I was cleaning my engine bay today and noticed a mall amount of oil on top of the valve cover. It looks like it came out of the filler cap. It’s a 67 coronet with a 318, stock valve covers. Is this normal? Or is it time to replace the valve covers and new filler cap? I also noticed a small amount of oil around the bolts. Thanks for the feedback in advanced

View attachment 1417655

View attachment 1417656
What kind of gizmo do you have the pcv feeding into? My first thought is that your PCV isn't working if oil is coming out of the fill cap. It is supposed to be a vent. Air get's sucked in there and oil shouldn't be coming out.

What kind of gizmo do you have the pcv feeding into? My first thought is that your PCV isn't working if oil is coming out of the fill cap. It is supposed to be a vent. Air get's sucked in there and oil shouldn't be coming out.
The pcv goes into a catch can to catch the oil vapors before they go into the intake manifold.

The pcv goes into a catch can to catch the oil vapors before they go into the intake manifold.
Does your engine have a lot of blowby or is it a high performance build?

What does the underside of that breather look like?

I've seen oil vapor creep out in engines of all conditions. A little is nothing to worry about.

Sounds to me that the engine is not breathing properly. I notice an aftermarket air cleaner. The arrow on the drivers side hose should go into the air cleaner and your picture doesn't show where it goes. The addition of the item at the passenger side arrow may be the culprit or a bad PCV valve. Personally I would eliminate that apparatus and route the PVC back to the base of the carburetor as original. Any oil vapor will be ran back through the engine and burned.
57C5827B-7B1F-4FF9-8433-8205C6F7AD40.jpeg

Yes, the hose from the oil cap on driver side is going to the underside of the aftermarket air cleaner. Not a lot of blowby, I just don’t want the small amount of oil vapors accumulating in the intake. Upgrades to engine are hooker headers, edelbrock intake and 4 bbl carb, double roller timing chain. Decked heads with hardened seals and new valves .

When I get home today I will take a picture if the underside of the cap.

Typically the only time I have oil around the filler cap/breather on the valve cover is when the PCV valve isn't working. Each one is designed for a specific engine characteristic. Modified engines change that. I ended up w one those expensive Wagner adjustable ones, but it works great.

Do you have the part number for the Wagner adjustable product? I just read their article and just about lists everyone of the issues I am having. I have tried purchasing several new ones, but always a replacement to the OEM.

Do you have the part number for the Wagner adjustable product? I just read their article and just about lists everyone of the issues I am having. I have tried purchasing several new ones, but always a replacement to the OEM.
I don't have a part number. Just purchased from their website. Pretty much one size fits all because it's adjustable.

The PCV valve does not look correctly mounted in the valve cover grommet in the pics?????????????

Attached is a close up of the PCV and a separate image of the type it is out of the valve cover. Is this the wrong type?? Or is it installed incorrectly??

pcv.jpg

2022-11-29_10-59-30_357.jpeg

I don’t know if it helps but I had similar oil issues on my Charger after changing the intake and going efi. I got a generic pcv valve for a 90’s gm 6 or 8 cyl and it has a much smaller opening inlet and seems to have helped eliminate the oil spitting problem. I don’t have the part # handy, just type in like a 95 Pontiac.

Just one extra point. Put a little hose clip around that 90 degree plastic fitting where it goes on to the steel casing of the PCV valve.
They are often loose and leak vacuum.

I can actually see that set up, breather hose to the inside of the filter that close to the carb, drawing air out of the engine vs what the breather is supposed to do which is allowing air to go into the engine and out the PCV. Thus it draws oil vapors out with it..

Should the hose be relocated to the side of the air filter? If so I may have to look for a different air filter housing . The only option on this one is at the bottom.

Auto Transport Service
Back