• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil filter adapter on 340?

Dibbons

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
How does the oil filter mount to a factory 71-72 Road Runner 340 automatic? Does it fit onto the cylinder block directly or does it use the 90 degree adapter? And what if aftermarket headers are installed, still the same? Thank you.

My oil filter mounts directly to the block on my 340. Here is a close up, hopefully this will help. I currently have the factory exhaust manifolds on them so I am unsure of headers.

20160531_003940.jpg

I have headers, and have to use the shortest filter that are closer to 3.75 inch height, like the Mobil 1 M1-204, the Wix ones are 4.3 inch height and are too tall with headers and I don't use fram oil filters anymore.

Some headers require an adapter,some require you to remove the adapter but ether way will work ,my 72 340 is solid mounted no adapter ,I do have an extra adapter if your looking for one

Auto Transport Service
Back