• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Filter Removal Tool for Big Block

6t4polara

Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
What are you using serrated cup fitting over the end of the cannister.
Slip ring fits around cannister.
Using the Wix filter,

Thanks,

These here hands, both on and off....as intended.
(Old fire sprinkler guy, remember...)

What are you using serrated cup fitting over the end of the cannister.
Slip ring fits around cannister.
Using the Wix filter,

Thanks,
You need to buy a higher quality oil filter wrench. I like the KD/Gear Wrench strap type wrench.
If you want a cup style wrench for the flats on the end of the filter, match one up at the parts store. There are many different sizes and flute numbers and that filter wrench probably won't fit much else. If you get a cup type, get a metal one if you can. They work better and last longer than the plastic ones. As you can see there are a lot of different ones.
Always oil or grease the filter gasket. Always.

gearwrench-pro-swivoil-filter-wrench-600x400.jpg cup oil filter wrench.jpg

Last edited:
I've had a couple of Lisle strap wrenches for 40 years that work good. I also have a couple of rubber strap models I use on the imports. In the early '70's I couldn't get the filter loose on my 383, strap wrench wouldn't work, big chanelle locks no good, then did the drive the long screw driver through it. That worked. After that always made sure to lube the rubber gasket and most important, lube the threads on the filter.

A back in the day mechanic story. old timer would remove his pants belt. loop then wrap around filter then pull and there you go...

Always on by hand, but I prefer filter pliers for removal.

nhugyuyug.jpg

I try armstrong first. The older I get the more it fails. Then I'll resort to the strap wrench Toolman shows or the cup depending on access.

The two cup sizes I use, BB on the left BTW.......

upload_2021-5-15_10-58-56.png

All else fails and it's somebody else's car with a baked-on filter, I'll whip out a Ridgid 24" pipe wrench on its' ***....
(again, old sprinkler guy).

I can always get them off if I was the person who installed it.
When my father was younger he had incredibly strong hands.
I was in high school and noticed one of my brothers friends had a Chevelle with black oil. I told him I would change it for him.
Couldn't budge the filter. Tried a belt with channel locks , no luck. Drove a screwdriver through it multiple times tore it up.
My dad came home from work spun it off with one hand. He said it wasn't really very tight.
That was impressive.

I have bonded 80 grit crocus/emery cloth on the inside of the strap of the filter wrench. It has never failed me to get those stubborn filters off and lasts for years without replacing.

Last edited:

I had a EX brother in law like that.. Great guy, but just a big ole farm boy... They called him the Bionic Man where he worked... Sure would of hated to see him get mad.....

I was in high school and noticed one of my brothers friends had a Chevelle with black oil. I told him I would change it for him.
Couldn't budge the filter. Tried a belt with channel locks , no luck. Drove a screwdriver through it multiple times tore it up.
My dad came home from work spun it off with one hand. He said it wasn't really very tight.
That was impressive.
I bet he was always asked to open the stubborn pickle jars as well. :lol:

That was impressive.
My dad was like that also, borne from having to work from age 14 (including being the butcher in a grocery for
a couple years when young). He had "Popeye forearms" and an iron grip.
I inherited his hands, his name (I'm "Jr.") and his medical disposition....not always a good thing.
pop aries swing porch.jpg
Damn, I miss that man....thank you for your post!

Auto Transport Service
Back