• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil galley plug location

diesel_lv

Local time
9:32 AM
Reaction score
Made a dumb mistake, assumed my machine shop installed oil galley plugs behind timing chain before I installed chain, cover and oil pan. Now I need to remove all and check. Is there a diagram that shows "All" oil galley plugs on B n RB engines? I keep reading about internal and external plugs. This is a 1967 383. Thanks in advance.

I would pull the distributor and spin the oil pump, before I pull the front of the engine apart. Hook up a mechanical pressure gauge and see what pressure it makes. 45 lbs, they are in place, zero-5lbs, time to pull it apart.

Have you tried to pump up oil pressure yet (by hand)?? If you can't get anything they may be missing. Is it safe to assume if they put them in the back, would'nt they have put them in the front?? Meaning, do you see them installed at the back/top of the bellhousing, and on either side of the rear cam plug? Looking at this part of the casting should give you a clue where they are in the front as well, since you can follow the casting with the front cover off. HTH, Lefty71

I'm not asking for diagnosing, just locations. Thank you.

I count seven locations off the top of my head.... I'll go look at a block here in a bit......

I'm not asking for diagnosing, just locations. Thank you.
33 IMP has a good suggestion, and is just trying to save you a lot of time and hassle.
If the car makes pressure they’re in, if it doesn’t they’re not. Taking the front end off a motor sure takes a lot longer than priming it.
This is a 383
9059600A-AB41-4016-B3A6-759B4546824D.jpeg
A5EBC26C-34B0-4635-A7F7-AAC80BA61D6A.jpeg
A5E30E47-3D18-4075-B41A-80B3BCE75B38.jpeg

33 IMP has a good suggestion, and is just trying to save you a lot of time and hassle.
If the car makes pressure they’re in, if it doesn’t they’re not. Taking the front end off a motor sure takes a lot longer than priming it.
This is a 383
View attachment 878023 View attachment 878024 View attachment 878025
The one in the first picture is the one i missed putting in and it cost me a new set of bearings... They weren't bad but installed all new just to be safe.. Make sure that one is IN THE BLOCK. Otherwise your oil just pumps right past the cam and right back into your pan. Just glad I found the issue when it was on the run stand. Did run the engine for 4 or 5 minutes... "thought i had oil pressure". Also glad I had all of the rotating parts lubed up with liberal amounts of assembly lube. I think it saved my crank for being galled.

Lefty71, thank you for the tips, I haven't put oil in and am not close to that point yet. Still waiting on custom pushrod. I just figure it'll be easier to pull the pan n cover n check while block is dry.

4mulas, those are what I thought. But kept seeing "4 oil galley plugs inside the block". The 2 in front, I can understand as "inside" the block. The back 2 that would be inside the bellhousing area, I can't consider those "inside" the block.

If I'm not mistaken, 2 under timing cover, 2 inside bellhousing area, 2 at top/back of engine (oil sending n plug), 1 under fuel pump, and 2 water drain plugs (1 on each side). Any I'm missing?

2 under timing cover, 2 inside bellhousing area, 2 at top/back of engine (oil sending n plug), 1 under fuel pump, and 2 water drain plugs (1 on each side). Any I'm missing?

I think you are there! You may be able to see the 2 under front cover ones through the fuel pump cavity??

Lefty71, thank you for the tips, I haven't put oil in and am not close to that point yet. Still waiting on custom pushrod. I just figure it'll be easier to pull the pan n cover n check while block is dry.

4mulas, those are what I thought. But kept seeing "4 oil galley plugs inside the block". The 2 in front, I can understand as "inside" the block. The back 2 that would be inside the bellhousing area, I can't consider those "inside" the block.

If I'm not mistaken, 2 under timing cover, 2 inside bellhousing area, 2 at top/back of engine (oil sending n plug), 1 under fuel pump, and 2 water drain plugs (1 on each side). Any I'm missing?

Well, because you’re thinking about it now, I understand, you might as well go get a set of gaskets and check it or else it will drive you nuts, as it would me..

Lefty71, thanks. I will check through there tomorrow, will need a really bright flashlight but need one anyway. Hopefully that will allow me to see it.

So, there are no actual "Inside" the block galley plugs?

I always do the pre-fire oil priming, to be sure the rockers get oil before any load. If you use the priming shaft/drill motor in REVERSE & check the oil pressure. If you have normal oil pressure, the plugs are in. I do rotate the crank by hand, w/VC's off to be sure both banks get oil to the rockers.

66Satellite47, thanks. For me, it's easier to remove an oil pan and timing cover and check while engine is dry than to add oil, find out one is missing, drain oil, remove said parts, deal with messy oil everywhere and reassemble.

Not only that you can also check to see they are tight and not just there.

66Satellite47, thanks. For me, it's easier to remove an oil pan and timing cover and check while engine is dry than to add oil, find out one is missing, drain oil, remove said parts, deal with messy oil everywhere and reassemble.

OK, I believe post #6 shows them all. Two around the front cam bearing(photo 1&2), four at the back of the block(2 in the bellhousing area, 2 outside on top, oil pressure sensor area, photo 3).

For what it is worth, I assumed the engine was assembled and in the car. If it is still on the stand, sure, pull it apart to look!

For what it is worth, I assumed the engine was assembled and in the car. If it is still on the stand, sure, pull it apart to look!

Ya, me too at first. But to diesel, those pics tell the tale.

33 IMP, 66satellite47, thank you both. Yes, still on stand.

I'm a bit picky on things. Was missing 1 bolt on a Harley engine rebuild. All the was back in the bike. Missing 1 upper engine mount bolt. Easily could have been misplaced over 2 months time. Pulled front head n cylinder. Fished inside case w extension magnet for over 15 minutes. "Click", found it. Gut feeling said it was in there n I wasn't going to stop until I found it.

Auto Transport Service
Back