• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil line. Is this needed?

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if this line is needed or not on my 400. Picture shows from the rear of the block, looking to the passenger side. The oil sender is not in yet because the line goes where the sender is suppose to be. The plug shown on the block will interfere with this line. Tried to get a hold of the guy who built it for me but have not yet. Any ideas? Can I remove the line and plug it?

Oil.jpg

Do not remove and plug. Engine oiling modification that may very well be supplying oil to the rocker arms.

Do not remove and plug. Engine oiling modification that may very well be supplying oil to the rocker arms.

Don't remove the line and plug? What about the oil pressure sender? I'm sure it will interfere with this line. I'll verify when I get home and look at the plug shown. Thought the oil sender should be on the drivers' side of the block but guess it doesn't matter(?)

Well if you don't think your rockers need any oil, go ahead and plug it.

Didn't think nor say that. Just wanting to know what it is for, one end going to where I thought the sender was suppose to be (drivers side), and if the plug under the line in the block if the sender can be put in there instead (if doesn't interfere with this line)

Looks like a upper end oil modification. If you don't know the history of the motor you may want to pull the intake for a looksee.

That is some type of oil passage mod. Without removing the intake and valley tray there is absolutely no way of knowing exactly what was done unless you contact the engine builder. If want to install an oil sending fitting either reroute or replace it with a longer line. Best to learn a little about your engine before doing anything.
Doug

Yeah... I'd take a look under the intake if I couldn't get ahold of the engine builder. That is DEFINITELY some type of oiling modification. I could be wrong (probably), but doesn't your oil sender go where that plug is? You can make a tube bent any way you like that goes in the oil sender hole & then screw the sender into it. I used to run an angled 4" extension under my oil sending unit to clear something & it worked just fine.

Look over oiling port drawings for the stock motor. You have two access ports back there, one (in the photo) plugged. Don't know any reason you can't pull that plug, and use it for the sending unit...just extend it.
Or, if I'm wrong...want to hear it.

Both plugs are there because that is what connects the right and left lifter galleys. The left plug is the feed from the right side. The right plug is the feed to the left side. The "X" intersection between them is the crossover. Oil pressure is the same at either port.
Doug

Look over oiling port drawings for the stock motor. You have two access ports back there, one (in the photo) plugged. Don't know any reason you can't pull that plug, and use it for the sending unit...just extend it.
Or, if I'm wrong...want to hear it.

I think that is what I'll end up doing is removing that one plug in the picture and put an extension on it for the sender.

Both plugs are there because that is what connects the right and left lifter galleys. The left plug is the feed from the right side. The right plug is the feed to the left side. The "X" intersection between them is the crossover. Oil pressure is the same at either port.
Doug

I thought either one would be ok for the sender but wanted to know for sure.

Thanks everyone

Auto Transport Service
Back