• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Pan Blues...

JHCain

Local time
10:58 AM
Reaction score
Anybody have a brilliant idea for a center sump oil pan for my 6.4 swap? AlterKtion K frame, I've got everything ready to go, except for an oil pan. The Milodon 31000 pan is backordered until they don't even know when, and every other pan seems to be covered in horror stories?

I'm about to order the steel rear sump pan from MOPAR, and start cutting and welding, but I'd REALLY prefer to just procure something that works.

I'm hoping to find someone that's bought a pan, but doesn't actually need it yet, and is willing to let it go. No luck yet, but let me know of anyone knows of an available pan!

Welcome JH!

try the search function...I know there's a bunch of guys here that did the swap and Im sure there's something in their build threads outlining what they did.

good luck!

Mar- Thanks for the suggestion - I think I've read all the threads (I think!) and there's a consensus that every pan has SOME issue, but the Milodon has the least... But it's not available! Add to this that I'm using the 6.4 instead of a 6.1, and my options become limited. I've read one "this is great" instance for the Canton pan, but I've also read several "That pan leaks" instances, too. The Charlie's Pans are supposed to be decent, but they're also now 4 weeks out. I'm getting anxious to drive this Dodge again - I wonder if I can just fold one up out of broiler foil?! THAT will probably work, if I use enough duct tape, too....

I suggested Charlie's...apparently I can't read. LOL!

I ran a truck pan and pickup on mine. Same issue with the AJE k member

Call S&P in Mena, Ar. and talk to Mark (owner). He should have a few of the Charlies pans in stock with the pick up. That is what I used in my build and was extremely happy with it.

the best damn forum on the 'net

the Pros reply with intuitive answers...:headbang:

there ya go, JH...hows about we see pics of what you're workin' on??

:worthless_thread:

Call S&P in Mena, Ar. and talk to Mark (owner). He should have a few of the Charlies pans in stock with the pick up. That is what I used in my build and was extremely happy with it.

I'll call them in the morning - the one place I haven't tried yet; that figures! Thanks for the tip.

- - - Updated - - -

the Pros reply with intuitive answers...:headbang:

there ya go, JH...hows about we see pics of what you're workin' on??

:worthless_thread:

Well, here's the basic gist of it - mating the 6.4 to a 727 with gearvendors overdrive!

IMG_0971.jpg

Oil pan ordered and on the way from S&P. Thanks for the suggestion!

Glad to help!! You'll like that pan, built sturdy, fits perfect, and since it's aluminum it will help cool the oil!!

i got the charlies oil pan. its pretty nice. nobody knew the oil capacity for it except s&p they told me it is 6 quarts not 7 like the factory one. that 6.4 looks good sitting there.

Attachments

• 0217142023.jpg
    0217142023.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 572
i got the charlies oil pan. its pretty nice. nobody knew the oil capacity for it except s&p they told me it is 6 quarts not 7 like the factory one. that 6.4 looks good sitting there.

Did you use the factory factory gasket / windage, or some other option?

With the Charlies Pan, you can use the factory pan/windage tray.

I used the factory windage tray with the milodon pan...seems to be ok.

What was the issue?

Amendment to my post on 9/17. Apparently calling and ordering the pan wasn't enough - I just learned this afternoon that the pan has not shipped from S&P in Arkansas. They won't know why until tomorrow morning. So much for getting my pan sooner, rather than later.... Argh.

I would get them on the phone and figure out what the hell they are doing, or rather, not doing!!!

I would get them on the phone and figure out what the hell they are doing, or rather, not doing!!!

Yeah, I called this afternoon to check up on it and all I got was that it hadn't shipped yet, and "Gary will know - he'll be back in the morning. I'll have him call you".. I'm so used to companies in this "day and age" shipping the same day or next day (particularly for something that is "on the shelf") that it just baffles me when something doesn't ship, and I don't get an active notification as to why/when... Oh, well. Hopefully it gets straightened out tomorrow morning....

Latest update - after a couple of additional phone calls, the oil pan is on its way. They were apparently waiting for "a special bolt" before shipping? Didn't notify me, just had the pan sitting there, waiting. I asked that they ship the pan, and the bolt could follow later. Just got tracking info - I see it's coming FedEx ground, with "direct signature required" I hate that. It means I either have to wait around the entire afternoon for our erratic FedEx driver to come by, or divert it to the FedEx office and go out of my way to collect the parcel. Argh!

Auto Transport Service
Back