• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pan installation- Aftermarket gasket or gasket from a tube???

NJRR

Local time
4:31 PM
Reaction score
Went to change the oil on my daily driver and noticed a small leak from the pan gasket.
Factory installed with a form in place gasket out of a tube. However, I see a fel-pro rubber gasket listed for my application, which also comes with a tube of gasket sealant. Any recommendations? If I have to use a tube anyhow, why bother with the rubber gasket is my thinking.

What vehicle ? If I'm doing a pan gasket on a customers car, or any car for that matter I always seal it the way the factory did. If no gasket was used, just sealer then I'll put it back using permatex ultra black. Let it sit and cure over night then fill with fluid ....

Last edited:
Small block? I "think" that little tube might be for the corners. My 2-cents...use the factory style Felpro gasket + tube.

What vehicle ? If I'm doing a pan gasket on a customers car, or any car for that matter I always seal it the way the factory did. If no gasket was used, just sealer then I'll put it back using permatex ultra black. Let it sit and cure over night then fill with fluid ....

It's a 2005 Toyota Tacoma, 4.0L, 180k miles. I'm thinking the same thing you are, except that the cure time creates a logistic problem. A mechanic friend said I can use his lift, but I can't leave it there overnight.

You'll be ok, just apply sealer and attach the pan... button everything else up then grab a bite to eat... I've done a bunch for people waiting in the lounge and filled the crankcase right away, never had an issue. But it is ideal to let it cure as long as possible. Toyota sealer is a pain, it's a grey paste called fibbage. That stuff cures like nothing else ! Be patient and straighten the pan rail out before putting it back on, you'll probably bend it a little prying it off the block. You'll be ok going back together with ultra black ....

The instructions on the ultra black say install within 5 minutes of application, install pan bolts but not torque them right away, then after an hour, torque to specs. I guess it sets up enough within an hour that it can then be torqued without squeezing out and not sealing.

Permatex makes a black “silicone” type sealant called “the right stuff”.

I use it when I want a superior seal on something. I believe it has an adhesive property as well.

Permatex makes a black “silicone” type sealant called “the right stuff”.

I use it when I want a superior seal on something. I believe it has an adhesive property as well.
Usually it’s always best to go factory, with a little rtv on corners and such. Way better stuff these days compared to yester years.

The instructions on the ultra black say install within 5 minutes of application, install pan bolts but not torque them right away, then after an hour, torque to specs. I guess it sets up enough within an hour that it can then be torqued without squeezing out and not sealing.
There ya go, that'll do it. It's kinda hard to mess up as long as you have a solid bead around the pan rail .... You'll be fine

I used Grey RTV on both sides of my cork gasket on my truck 360 with success. I spread a thin layer on it on both the pan surface and the block and it is holding up 2 yrs now well. Hate Cork but figured the RTV would help.

Auto Transport Service
Back