• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pan leak

67coronetman

Local time
3:22 AM
Reaction score
Well hello today gentlemen as you can see I have an issue with a oil pan leaking in the pictures you'll see right with the drops coming from evidently when I was installing the motor sometime back I must have hit the oil pan right on that corner where the sheet metal meets and it created a small crack but without taking the pan off who out there has fixed a leak similar to this because I have no intention of removing the pan off the car it's too much of a hassle any good ideas help would be appreciated I have some ideas but I'd like to hear what maybe some of you have done to take care of a similar situation thanks for any input

20170402_184057.jpg 20170402_184036.jpg

I've had great results over the years with good old --JB Weld--
Never had a fail because I always expected it to fail.:) Since I never expected it to work my attention to clean, dry and prepped surfaces may be why.

If you can tip this crack so that oil does not pool behind it-- open it up a bit (sanding/grinding)to find out how far it goes--and get it clean and dry you have a good chance.

BTW that corner weld is likely to be fragile along it's length as in evident by a crack caused by very little trama.

I can't really see what your trying to fix but if you need to fix the seam where it welded together you have a couple options in the car:

I would drain oil for both and tilt the car forward to keep any remaining oil way from the seam.

1. JB Weld or some sort of oil resistant epoxy.
2. This one risky but if you drain well enough it might work. TIG weld it if it will clean up.

I've had great results over the years with good old --JB Weld--
Never had a fail because I always expected it to fail.:) Since I never expected it to work my attention to clean, dry and prepped surfaces may be why.

If you can tip this crack so that oil does not pool behind it-- open it up a bit (sanding/grinding)to find out how far it goes--and get it clean and dry you have a good chance.

BTW that corner weld is likely to be fragile along it's length as in evident by a crack caused by very little trama.
Thanks i did once i guess i didn't clean good enough...

Oil pans are generally pretty easy to remove in most B-Bodies. Drop the steering link and it should come right out. Without cleaning it inside & out, you'll never get it sealed IMO. As far as welding it with oil in the pan and the motor in the car while laying underneath the car??...... Not a chance for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back