• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pan leak

american made

Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
Hello to all you engine gurus. I have searched the "oil pan leak" threads and can't find an answer to my issue. I installed a new pan on my 69/440 and I have one stud that is leaking. I have tried all types of sealants to see if that would work, but it still leaks. I have not started the engine or added any oil to the pan. The oil dripping out is what is left in the engine. Any ideas ????

thumbnail (5).jpg

Is there a windage tray in there? if so you need 2 gaskets, why the studs?

When you had the pan off, did you flatten out the pan lip around the holes. They get bent from being over tightened and need to be pounded down flat. After you get the pan straightened, take some brake cleaner spray and clean all that oil off of the pan and engine lips. Not too sure about your studs but if you think you want to use them, maybe put some gasket maker around the threads before you screw them in. I always put a thin coating of gasket maker on both sides of the gasket. Snug all the bolts up and leave it overnight. Next day torque them to 20 inch lbs. (not 20 lbs) Then add the oil. Never had a leaker since doing it that way.

When you had the pan off, did you flatten out the pan lip around the holes. They get bent from being over tightened and need to be pounded down flat. After you get the pan straightened, take some brake cleaner spray and clean all that oil off of the pan and engine lips. Not too sure about your studs but if you think you want to use them, maybe put some gasket maker around the threads before you screw them in. I always put a thin coating of gasket maker on both sides of the gasket. Snug all the bolts up and leave it overnight. Next day torque them to 20 inch lbs. (not 20 lbs) Then add the oil. Never had a leaker since doing it that way.

Thanks for the suggestion, the pan was new and I checked it for straightness. I had it apart for about a month before I went back under the car. Those things like to drip...FOR EVER...Haaa. I cleaned the block and the new pan with acetone before assembly. Also, I have used Sealer on the stud...I took it out after I saw the leak and put sealer on it after spraying brake cleaner in the hole. The stud is in the rear of the pan next to the flywheel....this has me stumped.....especially since there is no oil in the engine.

Apparently residual oil dripping down from above is leaking down past the threads but once you get it cleaned up and smear some sealer around the threads before you re-install, you should be ok unless there is a crack in the block or something. Good Luck getting it healed up.

Those two studs are located in the rear main seal retainer

Oil is getting by where the retainer meets the block and gasket or the two holes where the bolts attach the seal retainer to block and gasket

Those two studs are located in the rear main seal retainer

Oil is getting by where the retainer meets the block and gasket or the two holes where the bolts attach the seal retainer to block and gasket
Thanks, I will remove the pan and check that.

Auto Transport Service
Back