• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Pan Recommendations

tnfastback

Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
OK so I am going to replace my dented 4 qt oil pan on my engine (1970 440) and was wondering if I should just go back stock or upgrade to a 5 or 6 qt pan. Engine is basically stock.

The stock will be fine, I use a stock c-body pan in my b-body because its a slightly larger volume. I found that the more important thing though is the baffle in pan that will prevent oil from pulling to the back of the motor on hard accelerations.

I have a Miloden 7 qt pan on my 440 but the engine is stroked too.....

Have you considered repairing the one you have?

The smaller (capacity) pan was the norm on most big block Mopar engines.

The stock will be fine, I use a stock c-body pan in my b-body because its a slightly larger volume. I found that the more important thing though is the baffle in pan that will prevent oil from pulling to the back of the motor on hard accelerations.
And also helps keep the oil from uncovering the pickup on hard braking.....

You could run the 402 pan. Same depth but with a longer sump area for 2 more quarts.

If you end up going with an aftermarket pan, remember to check your ground clearance & k-member protection. You can buy the six pack/hemi skid plates and have them welded onto your existing k-member, fyi. In general, I like kern dog's idea for a basically stock motor.

I run a 402 pan in my 69’ Dart, no complaints.

It’s 5 plus filter.

Think what you want but the 402 is considered a four quart pan. Research it. If you change the oil and replace the filter you'll need to add five quarts. That's basically what the Factory Manual says for my 1969 Super Bee with 383 HP and stock 402 pan and that's what I did for years on that car. Five quarts with a filter change put the oil level right where it should be on it's dip stick.

I did research it, way before I bought one for mine, even the repop’s are 5 quart.

My mistake, I’m confusing the Hemi pan with the 402. I got the Hemi pan from 440 Source and it’s 6 quarts plys filter. I do apologize for my mistake.

My mistake, I’m confusing the Hemi pan with the 402. I got the Hemi pan from 440 Source and it’s 6 quarts plys filter. I do apologize for my mistake.

No problem, I think my '70 440 Six Pack pan takes 7 quarts with a filter change. Probably similar or the same as your 440 Source pan.

What's the number for the best big plock pan for a 73 B Body- Satellite Regent
thanks

- Big Block Chrysler -
31580_small.gif

383-440 ROAD RACE or PRO TOURING STREET CAR

Milodon 31580: 7 quarts plus the filter. No sloshing. But I get that it's not exactly "period correct" if that's an issue...

Auto Transport Service
Back