• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil pan

roadrunner69440

Local time
3:17 AM
Reaction score
whats the best oil pan to run on a stock stroke, 550 horse +- 440 (street/strip use)

Personal opinion, I would run a stock Hemi capacity oil pan.

Personal opinion, I would run a stock Hemi capacity oil pan.

Agree too.
I think the Hemi pan is 6-Quart? it has baffles to keep the oil from sloshing, and it hangs down about level with the K-member, not below it.
I use these Jegs 502001 windage tray/gaskets in the stroker engines. Description says 4.15" stroke, but will clear some 4.25" stroker kits depending on the rods used. Just used one on a 440 source 505 kit with the H-beam rods and it cleared fine. My 505 with I-Beam rods needed slight tweaking for clearance. I do slightly widen the slots on the sides of the tray.
I find they seal really well and are somewhat re-useable gaskets as long as you don't use RTV on them.
The sell a stock stroke 3.75" version #502000, but I haven't used it, so not sure how much clearance to the rotating assembly it has?

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/502001/10002/-1?ymm=4294829708+4294829634+4294829078

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/502000/10002/-1?ymm=4294829708+4294829634+4294829078

use the hemi size pickup
you could check out Dvorak's scraper/ tray
if you are doing autocross or similar you need a road race style pan-advice for street above is fine

10EDC2B7-7C32-4F4B-A764-0D3A7BB20CA8.jpeg
77F20DE4-D58B-4776-8FAB-ABBB1DDF1124.jpeg
Here’s a dumb question but I need verification. The pan I have “ looks” like the hemi pan. I put 6 qts of fluid in it and it comes up level with the windage tray. Would that be the same pan??

It can also depend on the car your using to be sure the oil pan you use fits right. On my 63 Sport Fury the Moroso 7 qt pan fits perfect in my stock K-frame and did not need any mods at all as it fit right in. Ron

414201651.jpg

It can also depend on the car your using to be sure the oil pan you use fits right. On my 63 Sport Fury the Moroso 7 qt pan fits perfect in my stock K-frame and did not need any mods at all as it fit right in. Ron

View attachment 828892
Yup I guess that’s one piece of info I left out. This pan was on the engine when I pulled it out of the car. So in that aspect, it does fit. I am looking for the best pan ( that I won’t knock a hole in going over a speed bump) that I can’t run dry

The Hemi pan is supposed to hold 5 quarts and then 1 in the filter.....so it's called a 6 qt pan. I also add a tad more to it since with the engine running hard, most of the oil is up top.

The Hemi pan is supposed to hold 5 quarts and then 1 in the filter.....so it's called a 6 qt pan. I also add a tad more to it since with the engine running hard, most of the oil is up top.
Well if that’s how they rate it then it looks like I have a hemi pan.

Hi,

RR69440: Did you end up using the pan you have?

I too am looking to replace the oil pan for my 400 based 500 stroker engine, but I want as much oil as I can get without it hanging below the K Member. Has anyone tried this pan below? It's a Milodon 7 qt. pan. The little flare out seems like a good way to add a quart, but I am unsure about fit with a stock K member.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Hawk
mil-30930_ij_xl.jpg

Hi,

I too am looking to replace the oil pan for my 400 based 500 stroker engine, but I want as much oil as I can get without it hanging below the K Member. Has anyone tried this pan below? It's a Milodon 7 qt. pan. The little flare out seems like a good way to add a quart, but I am unsure about fit with a stock K member.

Hawk
View attachment 868293
I have been using that exact pan for years, haven't hit a speedbump yet. It IS seven inches deep, compared to a typical 187 pan at about 5.5" deep. I have another seven inch deep pan in the car now, and it hangs almost 3" under the k-member. But, my headers hang even lower, and I like them too, so I'm careful.
The hemi pans add capacity by lengthening the sump, not lowering it, but that doesn't move the oil farther from the crank. Milodon pan should save some power through reduced windage, and add oil supply insurance. Deeper sump and baffles should keep oil from running away from the pickup.

Hi,

Hawk
View attachment 868293
Your thoughts are exactly what I was thinking. I did not use my pan as I'm not at that point yet and mine is beat up a little too much for me to use. I'm putting too much work into this car to cheap out on a raggedy old pan lol. I'm sure you will get to that point before me so please keep me posted

I have been using that exact pan for years, haven't hit a speedbump yet. It IS seven inches deep, compared to a typical 187 pan at about 5.5" deep. I have another seven inch deep pan in the car now, and it hangs almost 3" under the k-member. But, my headers hang even lower, and I like them too, so I'm careful.
The hemi pans add capacity by lengthening the sump, not lowering it, but that doesn't move the oil farther from the crank. Milodon pan should save some power through reduced windage, and add oil supply insurance. Deeper sump and baffles should keep oil from running away from the pickup.

Thanks a lot for the information!

So it is 1.5” deeper than the hemi pan - I guess I need to start taking some measurements to get a feel for how far it would hang below the K member. For a car that will drive across country, I need this to be tucked up nice and tight. This is not a race car, but I do want as much extra oil as I can get while also ensuring I don’t rip out the bottom of it on some bump.

I have a stock 69 440 runner, and the stock pan sump is at least an inch lower than the k-member.
The milodon is in my 62, a hemi pan would interfere with the tierod. Early b's have a different k-member .

I'm getting a Milodon 6-qt Hemi pan put in my 440, along with Milodon windage tray and gaskets.

From the Milodon site:
CEDB4B29-0C60-49CC-8364-0C50F4A17055.png

Says, 6qts PLUS filter...
It's what I have.

Interesting add. Says it fits all b and e bodies, then says 66-74.

I guess my 62 isn't a b-body. I wonder what it is?

Auto Transport Service
Back