• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pressure

Car #4

Local time
8:01 AM
Reaction score
68 Charger with 440. At highway speed my oil pressure is just over 20. Is this too low or okay? The gauge is an OEM reproduction. Are these gauges accurate?

I would verify the pressure with a mechanical gauge first. The rule of thumb on oil pressure is 10 psi per 1000 rpm
20 sounds low at highway speed

That is pretty low for cruising speed. I would find another gauge first to verify the reading.

Get a good mechanical gauge, check the pressure. 20# is very low at anything above idle.

I was wondering the same thing. My 70 RR with a 440 never seems to get above 25 to 30 oil pressure but I don't know if the gauge is working properly.

I have a new sender in Bee and says 10 psi I installed a mechanical gauge and I have 75 so try that first. Easy install.

make sure you have the right oil filter, what number is on there.

@gtxrt 1515 I think it is. Can't recall off the top of my head but it's something like that.

If mechanical gauge reads low, maybe stuck relief valve.

Auto Transport Service
Back