• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Priming my 318 question

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
ok so I see that I can prim my engine with a screw driver in my drill.

Question the center shaft only should spin and not the while rotating assy right? I am not engaging the gear so I would think I would be spinning the pump only....right?

762FCCF3-191B-4591-96E2-F1AB7A5EDD4F.jpeg

NO. If engine is on TDC, mark your drive gear location and remove it. You need a 5/16” or 3/8” hex drive same size as other end of gear you pull out. Right now ur engaged with the camshaft. Go to Summit racing & look up priming rods, that’s what u need. Oil drive gear will rotate slightly CW I think and gear will start to rise up, grab ahold & pull it out. You do have a shop manual right?

Also, Don't worry about finding TDC until after you prime. The oil passages are timed for alignment so the crank must be rotated to send oil to both rocker assemblies. Afterwards rotate crank to TDC and install pump drive assembly with slot aiming at front left side intake manifold bolt, reinstall/install distributor with correct firing orientation and " light er up"!
Mike

Ugg my brain hurts reading this. I thought I could simply spin up the oil pump. I have the dizzy marked so I could re-install it exactly where it was such that I would not have to mess with setting the crank position and removing the internal dizzy gear drive.
Given that Bubba owned the car before me its probably a god idea I venture out and do as you guys suggest.
I do have the factory manual however. So how does that dizzy drive gear come out?

To prime the motor, the drive gear has to come out. No way around it. Once it's out you will see how the hex end fits into the pump for priming. AND, when you are priming, rotating the crank allows all of the oil passages a shot at getting oiled.

To get it out, stick a large flat blade screwdriver in the slot and turn it clockwise and the gear should walk out.

To prime the motor, the drive gear has to come out. No way around it. Once it's out you will see how the hex end fits into the pump for priming. AND, when you are priming, rotating the crank allows all of the oil passages a shot at getting oiled.

To get it out, stick a large flat blade screwdriver in the slot and turn it clockwise and the gear should walk out.
Thanks Threewood!
Which direction do I prime it CW?

CCW and when oil pump starts to work it’ll drag down a 3/8 elec drill pretty good.

Thanks Oldbee! Hopefully the 20V drill can get the job done.

To make it even easier for you,bring to TDC.Mark the dist for reinstall.Remove dist and note the direction of the slot.It's all about the slot according to Lenny Dykstra:lol:.Prime and rotate to be certain you've lubed both sides.Reinstall drive gear in the pump making sure the slot is where you took it out.Reinstall Dist and put fire in the hole!:thumbsup:

The dizzy is already out hemiitis so this thread is going to morph into a timing set up thread.

Once at TDC (thats where my finger pops out of cylinder one right?)

Then at TDC where should the rotor be pointing?

Here you go for gear location.

3B63C633-074F-4E52-8289-B178258F7B6D.jpeg

Well in that case ,,,,,prime the bitch TDC it and drop the gear in!!

Last edited:
Thanks oldbee! So is that line the rotor pointing direction? Is that from the manual? If so I can check it out and read abd learn more.

Hemitis unfortunately I just today hooked up the battery for the first time and nothing. At least there was no fire but I git another job agead if me. Can’t wait to find what Bubba did with this system lol.

Last edited:
Thanks oldbee! So is that line the rotor pointing direction? Is that from the manual? If so I can check it out and read abd learn more.

Hemitis unfortunately I just today hooked up the battery for the first time and nothing. At least there was no fire but I git another job agead if me. Can’t wait to find what Bubba did with this system lol.
That line should be the slot in drive gear, rotor should be pointing to #1 in your cap. Sorry SB’s aren’t my area too much.

That line should be the slot in drive gear, rotor should be pointing to #1 in your cap. Sorry SB’s aren’t my area too much.
Also I believe that the SB dizzy rotation is CW so I assume you were thinking BB for CCW primimg rotation yes?

Ur probably correct. The drill will tell u if ur rotating wrong.

Op, don't be daunted by this task....

1) I nearly smoked my drill doing this....18 volt...but it lived...lol
2) The gear must come out.
3) Go to Summit and buy the priming shaft... $8
4) You have to turn the engine over slowly by hand while priming. Get a buddy helper. Take the valve covers off to verify oil getting to the top on BOTH sides.

We'll help you get it all back together and running....if I can do it, ANYONE can :thumbsup:

Jeff

Awesome guys thanks so much for your help and support I NEED it lol!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back