• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil pump

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
I just got a 383 and was curious to know if it's ok that I can turn the oil pump by hand with the priming tool? My dads new oil pump damn near burnt out a craftsman hammer/drill when we primed it.

Yes ...TURN IT THE RITE WAY:director:, We used to pack them with vasoline back in the day. it would draw right now . Sorry Zack just had to do it , but the vasoline does really work. By the way its still colder then a well diggers a.. here

turning by hand will be no more effort than turning the assembly on a bench. RPM is what makes the unit pump and offer resistance.

I learned long ago to use my drill on low speed for priming as you can easily overload a drill motor on high speed.

I have a tool that I use to prime my motors with that turns by hand and does it just about as easy as a drill, but go ahead and pack it with Vaseline as mentioned before.

I've always used a speed-wrench. Easier to turn, just by hand, and you can feel the pump suction. Simple to vary the speed, too.

Auto Transport Service
Back