• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil seeping from my head gasket

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:06 AM
Reaction score
So, I replaced the metal head gasket my motor guy put on the car. Used a Fell pro gasket from summit on the 1357 side of the motor now see a little oil seeping down the front of the motor. Think I should retorque the head bolts. Does anyone think this would solve the issue or should I put a new metal one back on. I like a good tight motor and now leaks.

Why would you get rid of the steel gasket? You've lowered the compression & potentially eliminated quench....

What engine? Big Block? Small Block?

It's likely the valve cover leaking and not the head gasket.

On big blocks I always add a dab of RTV right at the upper 1/4" of the head gasket before installing the head. No leaks in this area since i started doing it.
Doug

On big blocks I always add a dab of RTV right at the upper 1/4" of the head gasket before installing the head. No leaks in this area since i started doing it.
Doug
I use loc-tite 518 but same idea...

It is a 383 motor. I did the dab of sealant in the corners of the valley pan also. 2000 miles on the motor and just noticed this. Going to drive it an keep an eye on that area. The valve cover gasket is not leaking. Pulled that head and put it back with the different head gasket. Think maybe need to Torque the head bolts again. Thanks for the info. like having a tight motor with no leaks.

Auto Transport Service
Back