• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Temperature

multimopes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
Where is the best place to put a sender to reflect the oil temperature most acurately and which is the easiest place on a 440 besides the rear top of the motor? Also, has anyone used the built in trans cooler on the radiator to cool engine oil or is it a bad idea? I have read conflicting stories about this lately. Any help would be appreciated.

I use and electric sending unit that is screwed into a bung welded to the oil pan. You would be amazed how long it takes the oil in the pan to get up to operating temp!

Thanks for the info, I read somewhere that someone adapted the sender into the oil drain plug hole. In my case, the cap tube is 6 feet long which may limit where I can tie in. I know that the oil takes signifactly longer to warm up but also takes quite a while to return to normal. I want to know what the temp is doing under load before I decide weather or not to add an oil cooler. I was wondering if there is a plug on the oil pump that could be used.

The pan is the best place to test for temperature unless you have an outboard oil cooling system. The best temperature reading is when the oil has finished circulating through the engine but is still in "flow" state. I would hesitate to use a temperature probe that uses a poly line what with all the hot surfaces around it. You could research a gauge and sender by Autometer that is of the electrical type and maybe the sender would be small enough to tap into the drain plug depending on the size of the plug. I actually use a Fluidyne unit with no fan and the oil pump adapter. It's quite easy to tap in to the adapter or lines for thermal readings of the oil coming from the pan and being circulated. As stated earlier, the oil takes a bit of time to heat up so at first the information from the gauge is useless but at cruising speed the readings should be actual.

Thank you for your input. I will see if I can adapt the sender to the pan if possible. I don't have the gauge yet, but I ordered a mechanical from Jegs which has a Bronze cap tube. I also ordered an oil cooler adapter that goes in between the filter and pump. I have an auto trans with it's own separate cooler, (mounts in front of the radiator). The current radiator is too small, (22"), I ordered a 26" which will have it's own internal cooler. I was planning on using that cooler for the oil if I need to. I wanted to see what the oil temp got up to first. After cruising at highway speeds with 391's in the rear, the temp goes a little higher than I am comfortable with. The headers add quite a bit of heat to the engine compartment as it is.
Wow, are you in London, England? If so, best regards from the states! What is your ride and how is it driving it on the other side of the road? (Notice I didn't say the wrong side of the road!)

I had our mechanic tap the oil pan of my parents new 1971 383 Road Runner for an oil temperature gauge back in the day. If I remember correctly, the oil ran about 240 degrees when fully warmed up. I thought it was a better indicator of a warmed up motor compared to depending on coolant temperature. I can't remember whether the gauge was mechanical or electric though.

Thank you also for the info. The pan is the way to go one way or the other. I also must correct myself. I re-read the info for my mechanical gauge and the bronze part is not the tubing, at least I don't think so, but is rather the material used inside the gauge for the bourdon tube. I better dip my head in water to wake up after shift work before I order anything. It's good to know what temps to expect also, I guess I will find out soon enough. Thanks again.

Auto Transport Service
Back