• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
After the engine is broken in, how long should the break in oil be used? Where I live, the climate is f’n hot for 6 months out of the year and was wondering if VR1 20w-50 would be the oil to use. I don’t remember the clearance on the bearings and don’t want to take s chance on the thicker oil, so maybe VR1 10w-30? At hot idle I have just under 20 and driving around town around 40 and itlll go up if I use the “go pedal”.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Don't put any oil on the brakes!

I'm going to be making the same decision soon. The way I was told by one of Penn Grades rep was how your pressure acts. If it needs a little more, you can up your weight. I'm useing the 30wt break in oil, cold it idles at 80lbs as the temp gets up I'm down to 20lbs at idle. Cruzing, I'm at 40lbs.

So maybe go to a 10w 40w and see how that acts. If not enough, go to a 20w 50w. Its all about the clearance. I think too heavy on a cold start isn't good either.

How many miles for a break in period is my next question. I'm almost at five hundred.

I'll just tell you what the guy from engle cams told me. They use Kendall 20/50 high zinc formula, now there in California so temps more stable. How long to run who knows but i figure oil and filter are cheap compared to worn metal parts. I changed them quickly, people sometimes forget oil gets contaminated through air filters also alot of abrasive particles being sucked through.

Miles? ****, since last summer I’ve been around the block/neighborhood a dozen times.

I really don’t think that a mileage amount is needed, ie., after a break in period on a dyno, they change out the break in oil and start tuning it.

I'm going to be making the same decision soon. The way I was told by one of Penn Grades rep was how your pressure acts. If it needs a little more, you can up your weight. I'm useing the 30wt break in oil, cold it idles at 80lbs as the temp gets up I'm down to 20lbs at idle. Cruzing, I'm at 40lbs.

So maybe go to a 10w 40w and see how that acts. If not enough, go to a 20w 50w. Its all about the clearance. I think too heavy on a cold start isn't good either.

How many miles for a break in period is my next question. I'm almost at five hundred.
Most say 500 is at the max for break in oil.....Then change it out......

Very good points....See what grade works the best.....A little trial and error but I have adopted that idea many years ago....

Last edited:
I really don’t think that a mileage amount is needed, ie., after a break in period on a dyno, they change out the break in oil and start tuning it.

But do the rings really get seated on a dyno. I've always been taught you need to get a fair amount of back pressure on them like letting off the gas on long hills ect. I dumped my break in oil right after the 20 min cam break in. Then changed it and the filter. Refilled with new break in 30w and was shooting for 500 miles before going to a Penn Grade 10w 40w or 20w 50w partial synthetic.

I’m sure they do as the dyno puts a load on the engine.

I’m leery of using the 20w50, as I don’t want to spin any bearings. Guess I’ll need to find some 10w-30 to set my mind at ease.

I’m sure they do as the dyno puts a load on the engine.

I’m leery of using the 20w50, as I don’t want to spin any bearings. Guess I’ll need to find some 10w-30 to set my mind at ease.

As far as a dyno applying a load yes but back pressure???

If you're already useing a 30w I'm thinking your oil pressure will stay the same. Going to a 10w 40w would increase it more.

Break in oil is what it's fore break in. I would drop out the break in oil after dino run. Out in the oil you are going to use drive it hard for 300 hunted miles or 30 hrs. Drop oil again and filter then cut filter open looking for metal how big or small. Put fresh oil back in it run engine at temp for couple hrs and be done with it. Now if you have a oil lab its a different story take a sample to the lab let them know its break in oil and get a base line to work with. Change oil after 30hr with a new sample and compare both samples you will see how wear metals are doing then run it again take a sample after 300 miles. Doing all this gives you a base line of how the oil is doing and wear metals. This will help on the track and street. For myself its amsoil and results against wear metals and temp are great but use what you believe is a good oil. Watch your tbn and additive package. I hear a lot about zinc on this subject and understand its a great help but don't overload it read everything you can about your oil and compare it to others you will find the best for your engine. Good luck but look deep at what flows in your engine. Also get the best micron oil filter you can.

I’ve got the Wix filter on, and will change oil every 3k.

I’m really asking when the break in oil should be changed. Everything I read is totally different every other paragraph, lol! Just wanting to get the opinions of FBBO members with what they do.

I’ve got the Wix filter on, and will change oil every 3k.

I’m really asking when the break in oil should be changed. Everything I read is totally different every other paragraph, lol! Just wanting to get the opinions of FBBO members with what they do.
I used royal purple break-in oil on mine, their instructions said to leave it 'until the engine is broken in'...1000 miles give or take for me. I did, just for inspection, drain a quart or so and change the filter after the initial startup and cam run-in. Now that I think about it, I changed the oil about 500 miles, but I refilled it again with the break-in stuff until I got to about 1000...then on to regular oil

I’m really asking when the break in oil should be changed. Everything I read is totally different every other paragraph, lol!
THAT is exactly why I don't think it is all THAT critical. Hell, I changed my cam, slathered it up with assembly lube in May and didn't change the oil (Rotella 10w30 and a bottle of ZDDP Plus) til next May (probably 1000 miles or so).
noidea.gif
I think whatever YOU feel safe with will be just fine.

My usual procedure is to change the oil/filter after the initial cam/lifter break-in run. Then reload with break-in oil and drive +-500 miles. After that, I use the Comp Cams oil I linked to above. Always works for me.

My usual procedure is to change the oil/filter after the initial cam/lifter break-in run. Then reload with break-in oil and drive +-500 miles. After that, I use the Comp Cams oil I linked to above. Always works for me.

Did you notice any difference in oil pressure between the 30w break in oil and the 10w 30w.

Auto Transport Service
Back