• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok to use a Group 27 battery in place of a 24?

musekmkr

Local time
11:49 PM
Reaction score
My car originally came with Group 24 59 amp battery but I was looking to replace it with a Group 27. Would this have any ill effects on the alternator or anything else that you can think of?

It should be fine as long as it fits, the battery cables reach the posts, and it is held down.

it will be a direct drop in . with zero ill effects

I thought so. Feel silly even asking that question. I am aware of the dimension differences. Just wasn't sure if the stock alternator would have any trouble charging a larger capacity battery. Thanks!

more than the size itself must be considered the load capacity for the batt. With a bigger capacity batt the alt could take more time to get recharged when batt get discharged. That could stress out the charging system. But as far the alt is able to hold the load requirements at iddle, you should be fine

more than the size itself must be considered the load capacity for the batt. With a bigger capacity batt the alt could take more time to get recharged when batt get discharged. That could stress out the charging system. But as far the alt is able to hold the load requirements at iddle, you should be fine

Exactly what I was thinking. I believe the HP models (especially those with A/C) that came standard with a Group 27 also came with a larger alternator. Either way, it sounds like I really don't have anything to worry about. I'm sure plenty of folks out there are running the larger battery with a stock alternator.

Keep in mind, JUST if the alt keeps the car loads at iddle could be safe. If not, is a call for problems.

Last edited:
I thought so. Feel silly even asking that question. I am aware of the dimension differences. Just wasn't sure if the stock alternator would have any trouble charging a larger capacity battery. Thanks!
Much better to ask than to fry something if not sure:thumbsup:.

The battery isnt the load.
The load is all the accessories. If the alternator can keep the battery charged with all the accessories running, you're okay.
Almost every old mope I've owned had the lights dim and the ammeter needle move slightly left at idle, except the Polara cop car and Monaco with optional alternator.

I grew up in the frigid upper mid west. It was common to replace the battery with the biggest one that would fit in the battery tray. The bigger battery gave the engine a little more cranking time when it was -20* F with 40 MPH north wind blowing 6" of ice and snow through the rad all night long. Some times you only got one shot at starting it before the battery went down.

Auto Transport Service
Back