• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okay just verification

Mally69

Local time
6:03 PM
Reaction score
Omay so i have this 400 big block. Im pretty on top with all the numbers on everything. But this is the first block i ever got that has an iron cross stamped on it. So i pretty much know this is a 76 400. And so what i did is i sae that and i popped a main cap and a rod cap and looked at the bearings.

Here are the pix. I shall assume this means they are 20 under so the crank was cut extra when manufactured. Im positive thats what this means but Just wanted to see what you guys thought.. here is the block ID as well as a main and rod bearing.. eother way makes no diff to me, itll be getting a stroker crank anyways so , this is irrelevant..

20230207_100605.jpg

20230207_094551.jpg

20230207_093835.jpg

20230207_093317.jpg

76 model year truck block built with a cast crank....assembled by second shift on july 15th, 1975...obviously looks to be the original bearings in your hand, so never been apart most likely. Maltese cross means they cut something, as you suspected.

76 model year truck block built with a cast crank....assembled by second shift on july 15th, 1975...obviously looks to be the original bearings in your hand, so never been apart most likely. Maltese cross means they cut something, as you suspected.
on the main And rod bearings both say -20 as in the pic. I take that as 20 under. Id assume.

I hear a lot of variation on the maltese cross, and if there is additional markings, like an X in addition to that.... I've seen only .001 under for the cross and .010 under for cross and X.... important thing I think is that any machinist sees markings, he's gonna measure more carefully, but you know hes gonna measure everything anyway right??

I hear a lot of variation on the maltese cross, and if there is additional markings, like an X in addition to that.... I've seen only .001 under for the cross and .010 under for cross and X.... important thing I think is that any machinist sees markings, he's gonna measure more carefully, but you know hes gonna measure everything anyway right??
Correct. Even tho most likely every engine i have will end up with a stroker kit installed, i have a stock pile of good cast cranks. 400 and 440 that I hate to get rid of them. Because i do feel with a mild street strip build they would be fine. I would opt to have them internally balanced so i can use neutral balance parts.

Auto Transport Service
Back