• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old cruising video from High Street Pottstown, Pa.

QuickBpBp

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
Just saw this come across my Facebook feed. Clicked on it and 10 seconds in is my '64 Polara getting gas. This was one of the cruising capitals of the country with lots of street racing action in the early morning. Lots of fun times out there and it's where and the year I met my wife. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Remember those times clearly. The 66 Coronet 383 4spd in this vid belonged to a friend of mine that I would later own in '93-'94. Thanks for posting this.

NICE!! "...everbody dance now..." blasting out of someone's ride!! Question is "WHERE ARE THEY NOW"??

I know of a particular '68 Charger that was a High St. regular back then. Still alive and well. :)

I know of a particular '68 Charger that was a High St. regular back then. Still alive and well. :)
Really is a shame what happened to that place now.. A few months ago they literally had a shoot out right on High Street along with many other murders a block off the main strip... It's a hell hole, the video below describes it as it is today.

Man dead after being shot in Pottstown Saturday | Southeastern Pennsylvania | wfmz.com
EricBakersurveillance.jpg

NICE!! "...everbody dance now..." blasting out of someone's ride!! Question is "WHERE ARE THEY NOW"??
In people's garages. No real reason to go driving around town and risk getting your pro street car or street machine destroyed because some dumbass was texting while driving... They all do around here...

Cruise weeks like OCMD and OBX are too much fun though! (OCMD is dying because of too strict cops now..)

Really is a shame what happened to that place now.. A few months ago they literally had a shoot out right on High Street along with many other murders a block off the main strip... It's a hell hole, the video below describes it as it is today.

Man dead after being shot in Pottstown Saturday | Southeastern Pennsylvania | wfmz.com
View attachment 1237194
And to think, we used to get tickets there for pulling into a legal parking spot just to watch other cars cruising.

I cruised my ‘70 Charger and ‘70 ‘Cuda back in the mid 80’s til about ‘95 in Pottstown and Lansdale. It was awesome until they shut it down with laws and regs. Pottstown was especially kool, because it was 4 lanes at the time. Here’s a pic from the late 80’s.
97BC2D41-AB3F-4FB7-B2A4-CCEA7D828D7D.jpeg

Car Craft Magazine did a series on towns with a cruising scene. They featured Pottstown Pa. in this issue. Cruisin’ USA!
B0878FF8-4F7B-427C-8CCA-ED100AC7165F.jpeg

Last edited:
Sadly, cruising is a thing of the past.
We had a few popular cruise areas around Milwaukee back when. On Saturday nights it was WI Avenue downtown; we’d take the 30 mile drive there to do a little cruising sometimes. This was banned by the early 70’s. Villard Ave was popular in the 60’s early 70’s along the area where there was the diner that Happy Days emulated in the show. This area became a shithole 30 years ago. Then it was a major boulevard Hwy 100 that was deleted by the early 90’s. Remember stories in the paper about too many dip shits littering and pissing in parking lots outraging the neighborhood.

In our little town cruising was the thing through the town’s main drag; but later traffic got horrendous on Friday & Saturday nights, bumper to bumper from expanding development. A cruising ban was enacted; no more than two passes in an hour. Lol, with traffic it took that long to make the round trip. Two great drive-in restaurants were torn down along with our outdoor theaters. One was dog ‘n suds with car hops under a canopy, music, getting a root beer float on a hot summer night. Was fortunate as this was happening my aimless cruising days were over anyway. Fun while it lasted...some priceless memories.

Do you remember when 5th St. in Reading used to be a cruising hotspot in the early-mid 80's?
Nope never went there, it was literally racing up at Maple Grove or Cecil then run out to Pottstown... If it was at Englishtown it was for the whole Mopar weekend or a Tuesday night. Spent a lot of time out there always a good time. It was closest I would have got to growing up and driving in the 60's-70's..

Do you remember when 5th St. in Reading used to be a cruising hotspot in the early-mid 80's?

I was trying to find an affordable flywheel for my basket case ‘70 E87 D21 Charger. I made a trip up to Larry Battle’s wrecking yard to get one out of a 318. I went in my Mom’s ‘68 Imperial, and on one of the double lane roads up there, one of those suicide door Lincoln’s pulled alone side. We went at it twice from the traffic lights. The 440 showed him the hidden taillights twice. :D

Just saw this come across my Facebook feed. Clicked on it and 10 seconds in is my '64 Polara getting gas. This was one of the cruising capitals of the country with lots of street racing action in the early morning. Lots of fun times out there and it's where and the year I met my wife. Enjoy.

Screenshot_20220208-135314_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220208-135416_YouTube.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back