• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old garage photos

Ron 73

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
7:14 AM
Reaction score
You guys that like these, i thought whats left, not that many but instead of posting them in the "random pictures tread" i would finish them here, Hope some of you will post up some of these antique garages and cars to go with them, they are a part of history when things were cheaper and gone for good now.. Except the link to one operated garage that still even cleans windows! a old thing that used to happen each time you got gas.. Remember when you could get free gifts for a fill up at some service stations! Check the radiator and oil.. free tune ups with some, even put air in the tires, and air was free.

View attachment 27606u.preview.jpg

View attachment 30276u.preview.jpg

View attachment 32266u_0.preview.jpg

View attachment 32524u.preview.jpg

View attachment 33156u.preview.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome pics, Ron. Thanks for sharing.

I like the old globe gravity pumps. I've always thought there should be modern versions made. I've never been convinced these "modern" pumps are giving us what we pay for. Generally, you give people an easy way to rip folks off and they'll do it.

I was one of the last full service gas station workers in my area.

Union 76 station in 1986.

After I left for better pay and cleaner work at a grocery store, the station was sold, stopped doing mechanical repairs, and went to gas only, self serve only.

While I was there, there was no self serve option.

They also let me do light mechanical, tire changes, etc, and I got to drive some interesting vehicles into and out of the shop. A couple I still remember were an extended bed 350 4 speed chevy longhorn, and a 360 4 speed Aspen wagon with bucket seats and rally wheels. It was even purple (maroon) and appeared to be all original.
I also got to back E350 "cube" vans into the service bays. There was about 2 inches of clearance on both sides and the top.

I think there was one Shell station that still did full serve, but I can't remember any others.

This is one from my friends fathers station back in the sixties. It had a pit outside you drove over for servicing the vehicle underside. The 59 vette was my buddies car.

Attachments

• ol6 (930x1280).jpg
    21 KB · Views: 665
This is one from my friends fathers station back in the sixties. It had a pit outside you drove over for servicing the vehicle underside. The 59 vette was my buddies car.

Yep, I remember them, my brother in laws dad had a small garage that once was the service station that we used to hang at.. it had one. Old things that we forget, you got me on that and brought back a few memory's...

Im glad you guys all like these, i only have a few left in the folder i have and i guess i should have done this earlier... These started off in the "Random Picture tread" thread and if you would like to see more, there's some on pages 24,25, and 26... Some oldies in there as well...

View attachment 27316u1.preview.jpg
View attachment 27338u.preview.jpg
View attachment 27339u.preview.jpg
View attachment 28593u.preview.jpg
View attachment 28746u.preview.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, I love old photos of anything auto related. Did anyone notice the ramp with what appears to be a dyno/tread mill/car starter. I wonder what it really is.

Hope there's more, thanks again.

Awesome pics, Ron. Thanks for sharing.

I like the old globe gravity pumps. I've always thought there should be modern versions made. I've never been convinced these "modern" pumps are giving us what we pay for. Generally, you give people an easy way to rip folks off and they'll do it.

We probably arent alone with that one, ive even found myself watching closely when the pump is set up to stop at a certain price lol, cant help it.. You can take a gallon jug though and check it but i imagine they still could somehow kind of make it stop and go for a few seconds, watch, now everyone will be thinking this! lol....

And ws27 ill look but cant promise thats why i thought maybe others might have a few around to share..

Auto Transport Service
Back