• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old gas

Guado

Local time
9:58 PM
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on siphoning old gas from a 73 charger? Or do I have to drop the tank?

It doesn't start otherwise I'd just run it dry

If you have a handheld vacuum pump used for bleeding brakes you could possibly use that with a hose long enough to reach the bottom and use that to at least get the siphoning started, then into a container.

Note they make up to 1/2", handy to have around.
pump.JPG

^ What Fran said. There's cheap ones at Horrible Freight. I have some 1/2" vinyl tubing with a big 7/8" nut zip-tied to one end. Push it a ways down and hold your thumb over the end, take up the slack quickly.

6 feet of hose.. stick in tank.. suck, spit, drain into can. Use to kill the grass in the laneway! None of you guys ever borrow gas as a kid.. lol

Disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump and siphon from there. That works for me as long as the fuel pickup isn't bad.

Also disconnected the rubber end going to the fuel sending unit on the tank n siphon from there.

Disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump and siphon from there. That works for me as long as the fuel pickup isn't bad.
This was gonna be my suggestion also because it's super easy. I've wrapped a rag around the end of my air compressor blow nozzle to seal it to the filler tube, set for 40 or so psi and let it rip...after a few seconds it builds enough pressure and gets the gas streaming right out (this is on a '68 tank with two small vents and no return though, but I would think it will work on any).
And! If the gas has been in there long enough to 'go bad' I might throw a gallon or two in afterwards and run that through the line also, to flush things out a bit.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out. Maybe one more time with the hose but pretty sure I couldn't it it much more than a few inches in

6 feet of hose.. stick in tank.. suck, spit, drain into can. Use to kill the grass in the laneway! None of you guys ever borrow gas as a kid.. lol
Ahahahaha out of the riding mower with yard jart ring ( 1/4” hose) to put into the go cart when I was 8 years old. Lol

Around here we call that “Packard Gas”! See, my buddy was working on an old Packard that had about 10 gallons of old smelly gas in it. He was looking for a place to get rid of it and my brother told him he would take it and mix it in his plow truck. Well, that was how many years ago, and that truck hasn’t run well ever since.

How old is the gas in your tank?
There isn't much in it, some is left over from idk how long ago. I added some new maybe a year or two ago, worried about condensation too. Should I just add new gas and call it good?

lol....... me and my buddies were pros ....... you only taste it once :fool:

There isn't much in it, some is left over from idk how long ago. I added some new maybe a year or two ago, worried about condensation too. Should I just add new gas and call it good?
I think I would try to start it by spraying gas down the carb. If that works, then I think I'd fill the tank with fresh gas, but I have a feeling that's not your problem.

drop the tank, soapy water and a piece of chain, clean it out, you won't be sorry

This was gonna be my suggestion also because it's super easy. I've wrapped a rag around the end of my air compressor blow nozzle to seal it to the filler tube, set for 40 or so psi and let it rip...after a few seconds it builds enough pressure and gets the gas streaming right out (this is on a '68 tank with two small vents and no return though, but I would think it will work on any).
And! If the gas has been in there long enough to 'go bad' I might throw a gallon or two in afterwards and run that through the line also, to flush things out a bit.
Exactly what I was going to suggest, done it many times. Wiggle the hose there’s nothing in the pipe to keep the hose from going in. Just make sure outside end of hose is below tank, gravity ya know.

Anyone have any tips on siphoning old gas from a 73 charger? Or do I have to drop the tank?

It doesn't start otherwise I'd just run it dry
I have an old electric fuel pump I had for some car I had, but a full tank drop and cleaning is probably the best idea. I put a long hose on one side and a shorter one on the other, hook to a battery and it'll get most of it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back